Part 4: Americanos and Black coffees

Ari's POV

Hailey

Good morning Ari, could you come by the precinct today please.

Ari

Good morning Squeaky. You know when you said you'll swing by the firehouse tomorrow I didn't think I'd hear from you before that. You missed me that much ?

Hailey

Don't call me Squeaky. And this is evidently work related, Lieutenant.

Ari

Sure. What time should I swing by ?

Hailey

Will you be able to make it at 9:30 ?

Ari

I'll be there.

Hailey

Thanks Ari. See you later.

Ari

You're welcome. See ya sweetheart.

I literally shot up out of bed. I think I've never gotten ready so fast. Point is I was in front of the precinct at 9 and decided to get a coffee at the coffee shop in front of the precinct while I waited.

"Well hello, fancy seeing you here Captain."

"Ari, hi."

"Hey sweetheart."

"The coffee here is better than the one from the machine inside the precinct."

"Looks like I chose wisely then."

"Hi, what can I get you ?" The bartender, a small man in his sixties, asks.

"An expresso macchiato please."

"You're not a cop are you ?"

"How did you know ?"

"Look around you, half of them are wearing a police uniform and the other half are police without a uniform. I know most of them by name and they all drink americanos and black coffees."

"That oddly makes sense." I say.

"The usual Hailey ?"

"Yes please Marc." She answers.

"So, Hailey, are you a black coffee cop or Americano ?"

"Black coffee." She answers scrunching up her nose hiding a smile.

"So I got it right yesterday !"

"You did."

"I'm a genius." I joked.

"No, you got lucky !" She laughed.

"Here you go, Hailey. Yours will be ready in a second..."

"Ari." I complete.

"Right, how rude of me. Marc, this is Lieutenant Ari Levinson, from firehouse 112. Ari, this is Marc, the owner of this beautiful coffee shop." Hailey introduces us.

"Nice to meet you." I say.

"Hey I'm not gonna complain if you bring me new customers, especially if they allow me to make a different type of coffee." Marc says.

"Thanks." I say when he brings my coffee.

"Anything else ? We have very good pastries."

"No thank you. I was just wanting to make some time before my appointment with Hailey, I got here a bit early." I explain.