Part 1: A new case

Ari's POV

The siren goes off in the firehouse and everyone suits up and jumps in the trucks. A building on fire, that's where we're going. As we arrive there I hop down and join the captain. He quickly directs everyone to get the trucks ready and tells me to go inside with my squad for search and rescue.

"Guys, you heard the Captain, we're going in. Sammy, you wait outside, start triage with the probie. Jake and Max you're going to the east side of the building. Rachel, you're with me, we take the west side. Let's go !"

We slowly work our way, floor by floor, sending every non injured person down and carrying the injured for Sammy to treat.

"Cap, the East side is clear, we're going out." Jake announces through the radio.

"Copy that Wolf." He answers from outside.

I signal for Rachel to go down the stairs as we finish our side of the building. I start to follow her but something catches my eyes.

"Cap, West side is clear as well, but I think this could be arson." I announce through the radio.

"Copy that Lieutenant. Get out of there."

Hailey's POV

I hear a knock on my door.

"Come in !" I say loudly.

"Morning Captain, you wanted to see me ?" One of the detectives asks as he pokes his head in my office.

"Yes, close the door behind you."

I watch him while he does what I asked. And I start to look for some papers in silence. Once I find them I look up at him and stare into his eyes a few seconds before speaking.

"Do you know why I called you ?" I ask him.

"No, I don't."

"This is the second complaint I have received concerning your behavior."

"It can't be that big of a deal ! Henry has had like five of those !" He protests.

"Yes, and he has been suspended without pay for two weeks at the third, seeing as he got two more he's about to be suspended for another two weeks. That's also what awaits you if you keep going down this path so get yourself together. Am I clear ?"

"But ..."

"Am I clear ?" I repeat, standing up and placing my hands on top of my desk, leaning a bit forward.

"Yes captain."

"Get out of here."

I sit back down and continue to review paperwork until my office phone rings.

"Captain Hailey Quinn" I say when I take the call.

"Hi, this is Captain Ethan Levin from the fire department."

"How can I help you, Captain Levin ?"

Captain Levin tells me to meet him in his office in a few hours, to talk about this arson case.

On my way out of the police precinct I grab a cup of coffee to-go and a sandwich. I finish my meal at the perfect time, right before making it to the firehouse.

I spot one of the firefighters and ask him to point me to the captain's office. Before I enter I see a tall handsome man turn my way. His light brown hair is long and parted in the middle, and his full beard doesn't hide his sharp jawline. But what strikes the most are his deep blue eyes. His uniform suits him perfectly and accentuates his bulky frame, his muscles stretching the clothes. Get it together Hailey ! You're here for work.

Ari's POV

"That's the end of the shift, go home guys." The captain says, and everyone starts to move towards the locker room.

"Probie ! Dishes, before you go." I tell the new guy.

"Lieutenant, come to my office before you leave." The captain requests.

I sit in his office in front of him, waiting for him to start the conversation, but he doesn't.

"What did you want to talk about ?"

"We're waiting on someone." He simply answers, looking towards the opened door of his office.

I turn around to see what he's looking at. And that's when I see her. The most beautiful girl I've ever seen. Her long hair is up in a ponytail, she's wearing a black fitted tank top under an opened green button up shirt and black jeans. My eyes quickly scan up and down her body, noticing her long legs and fit figure. Then, they wander around her face, paying close attention to her long lashes, captivating green eyes and soft pink lips. And that's when I start praying that she isn't here to integrate the team because Ethan has a strict policy that doesn't allow relationships inside the firehouse.

I see her stop to talk to the probie. I swear to God, if he tries something I'll kill him. She smiles at him when he points towards the captain's office, and it's the most beautiful smile I've ever seen. Oh man, I'm in trouble.

She knocks on the door, and waits for Ethan to allow her in even though the door was open. I take a deep breath and listen to what they have to say. Please don't be a co-worker. Ethan shakes her hand and she sits in the chair, at my side.

"Let me do the introductions. Ari, this is Captain Quinn from the Police department. Captain, this is Lieutenant Levinson." Ethan explains. Thank God.

"Ari, it's a pleasure to meet you, Captain."

"I wish it were in other circumstances though." She answers.

"Captain, I understand by your presence that you'll be personally working this arson case." Ethan starts explaining.

"Yes sir." She confirms.

"Great, well I unfortunately have a firehouse to rule, but Lieutenant Levinson will be your firefighter expertise, to help you out for anything you need in your investigation."

"Thank you Captain." She says.

"Great, when do we start ?" I say.

We walk outside of Ethan's office and towards the firehouse exit.

"It's the end of your shift right lieutenant ?"

"How'd you know Captain ?" I asked.

"I'm still a detective, already was before I made it to Captain." She winks.

"A damn good one then." I compliment.

"Nah, you just still have suit on your forehead." She laughed.

Great. I just made a fool of myself in front of the most beautiful woman I've ever met. Good job Ari.

"So I'm a little new to this whole investigation process... Where do we start ?" I asked curiously with a little side smile.

"You just worked a 24 hours shift, so you're going home, get some rest."

"I've got plenty of energy sweetheart. Tell me what you need, I'm here to help." I insist.

"First don't call me sweetheart, I'm working so it's captain."

"And when we're not working ?" I smirked.

"Second, get some rest, tomorrow morning, grab your tools and meet me at the fire site." She said, clipping her badge back on her belt and walking towards the car.

"Yes captain !" I said with a side smile. She huffed.

"Here's my card, in case you need to call me. For work."

"Don't you need my number too ?" I kept trying to flirt.

"Don't need it. I have access to your file." She answered, walking backwards towards her car. I chuckled and she shot me a smile before driving off.