40: Saving her

The city of Tokyo was engulfed in darkness as a raging storm intensified, casting a foreboding atmosphere upon the empty streets. Dio, undeterred by the brewing natural disaster, walked with unwavering determination. His fists clenched so tightly that his knuckles turned white, imagining the infuriating smirk and taunting laughter that Hikaru might be flaunting wherever he was hiding.

"After this, I shall come for you," he whispered, his warm and gentle tone morphing back into his cold, alluring voice reminiscent of his days as the world's absolute power.

With every step, his heart and mind felt burdened by an unsettling anger that made him question the last five years of his existence. What was a man of his stature doing, toying with insignificant lowlifes like the annoying directors and meddling kids around him?

He was Dio, a God among men, possessing unparalleled might and power. He could effortlessly conquer the world, unchallenged by any Joestar or other opposition. So why was he still tangled in this ridiculous plan of achieving dominion through the media?

His contemplations stirred bitterness within him, resenting his own weakness for succumbing to such urges. However, he had made a promise, and Dio was a man of his word. Regardless of his strength, he refused to tarnish the name of Dio by reneging on his pledge. A promise was a promise, even if it felt as if it had lost its significance months ago.

Thus, he continued his slow stride, pushing aside his thoughts and relegating them to the depths of his mind. It served no purpose to dwell on such futile contemplations.

On the other side of the unfolding saga, Ai Hoshino locked eyes with the man who had thrown her a question she despised. Her gaze harbored no trace of positivity; instead, it brimmed with regret and resentment towards Hikaru, who loomed before her.

Bound and suspended in the air, her body adorned with bruises and her mouth bleeding, Ai maintained her defiance in the face of her tormentor. Hikaru seemed to relish her suffering, a sickening sight that repelled her.

"You should really smile more, Ai," Hikaru murmured, his voice filled with a twisted affection as he caressed her cheeks with his thumb. "Just like that night we shared all those years ago."

Ai recoiled from his touch, disgusted by the memory and fearful of provoking further violence from the menacing duo standing behind him.

"Don't you dare to remind me of that," Ai's voice was laced with venom, her words dripping with an unmistakable disdain that only seemed to fuel Hikaru's twisted delight.

"Why, my dear? Do you now regret having our children? Perhaps you wish for me to take them away?" Hikaru's grin widened, reveling in the turmoil he was causing within her.

"NEVER LAY A HAND ON THEM!" Ai's outburst filled the room, the intensity catching everyone off guard. It was a scream that held the weight of a mother's primal instinct to protect her offspring. Even those who thought they knew Ai well were stunned by this new side of her.

Hikaru's laughter echoed like a sinister melody, relishing in the chaos he had unleashed. The twisted pleasure danced in his eyes as he cupped Ai's cheek, his fingers gently grazing her skin.

"Oh, I see," he breathed, almost mockingly. "You've grown to love them, haven't you? How fulfilling it must be for you to finally achieve your one wish."

Ai's glare was fierce, her eyes aflame with a burning desire to escape the clutches of the man who had tormented her for five long years. Her heart longed to return to the life she once cherished, free from this nightmarish reality.

"Now, now, my dear," Hikaru taunted, his voice a haunting whisper against her ear. "Don't look at me like that. Had you loved me back six years ago, perhaps our story would have been one of happiness."

Ai's response was swift and cold, her disdain evident in every word. "I could never find happiness with a man like you."

"Such bold words," Hikaru frowned, his eyes narrowing with disdain. "Coming from a woman who knows not the meaning of love."

A mischievous smirk danced on Ai's lips, undeterred by Hikaru's scornful gaze. "Ah, but I know one thing for certain," she replied.

"And what might that be?"

"My life, dear Hikaru, far surpasses the pitiful existence you call your own."

A sharp crack reverberated throughout the room as Hikaru's hand met Ai's cheek in a fierce slap, leaving behind a stinging sensation. Yet, the smirk on Ai's face remained unwavering as she met his gaze.

"What's the matter? Can't handle the truth?"

"Shut your mouth," Hikaru muttered through gritted teeth, his hand rubbing his aching wrist. "All you know is deception and manipulation. Your words are nothing but lies."

"Perhaps you're right," Ai shrugged indifferently. "I can't pretend to know the life you lead. But what I do know is that my life will ascend to greater heights than yours ever could."

A raised eyebrow was Hikaru's only response, his curiosity piqued. But before he could inquire further, MeiMei stormed into the room, gasping for breath.

"What's the matter? You'll have your turn once I'm through," Hikaru dismissed her without so much as a glance.

"There's a problem," Meimei hastily informed him.

"The police?"

"No, but they may arrive soon."

"Tsk, tell Hol and Kaito to prepare the van," Hikaru sighed, turning back to Ai with a smirk dancing on his lips.

"Our conversation shall continue later, my dear Ai."

"Awww," Ai snickered playfully, a glint of amusement in her eyes. "Unfortunately, I don't believe that'll be happening anytime soon."

"Oh? And why is that?" Hikaru chuckled, intrigued by her confident demeanor. "Do you think the police will arrive in time to save you?"

"No, not at all," Ai giggled softly, her expression now warm and serene, catching Hikaru off guard.

"My beloved is here to rescue me," she declared, the sound of screams echoing outside the apartment, accompanied by the menacing roar of thunder that illuminated the room in a brilliant flash of white light.