Kristy's Big Idea

Kristy POV:

Me, my sister, Mayson, and our friend Mary Anne  were walking home from school. I was talking about class while Mayson and Mary Anne listened.

"It was boiling in there, like, the surface of Venus hot, and he just kept droning on and on about the genius of Thomas Jefferson and how all men are created equal." I told them.

"This is Mr. Redmont?" Mary Anne asked.

"Yeah. So finally I stood up and I was like, 'If he was such a genius, why didn't he say all

people?'" I said.

"Nice." Mary Anne said.

"Except apparently, I raised my voice, and I didn't raise my hand." I added." Did he give you detention?" Mary Anne asked.

"Essay, on the importance of decorum." I replied.

" What does that even mean?" Mary Anne asked.

"Like, not talking unless you're called on, being polite and invisible. Meanwhile, the boys are in the bathroom sticking Kleenex down their pants and wiping sweat on each other, but somehow I'm the disruptive one." I said

"Do you think he'll call  mom?" Mayson asked.

" I don't want anything to mess up our sleepover tomorrow night. I've almost convinced my dad to let us Postmates pizza and ice cream." Mary Anne said

" Double dairy! Wow, what's next, the key to the liquor cabinet?" I asked.

"Sugar is process." Mary Anne replied.

"I can't wait." we all said in unison.

Mary Anne's mom died when she was 18 months old. Herdad is super overprotective, but at least he cares. My dad took off right after my little brother David Micheal was born. The first 3 years he visited twice, then birthday cards, then nothing.

Next door are the Kishis, Claudia, Mary Anne, Mayson, and I used to hang out all the time. But that was before Claudia decided she was more into boys then into us. I miss her. We all do.

Me and Mayson reached our house, which was in between Claudia and Mary Annes.

"Psst! Kristy. Mayson. Over here." We heard from the bushes. We saw our little brother and walked over to him.

"Hey, what are you doing in there, buddy?" I asked.

"You weren't here to let me in." He replied.

"You weren't supposed to be home for another 20 minutes." Mayson replied.

"Why didn't you go to the Kishis? Mimi would have let you in." I added.

"I really, really had to go on the bus. Please don't tell anyone, especially not Charlie or Sam. They'll think I'm a baby." David Micheal told us.

"Buddy, of course not. Come on. Let's get you changed. I'll make you a quesadilla." I replied as we walked inside.

I made a quesadilla as promised while Mayson gave David Micheal a change of clothes. Mayson went upstairs, she looked exhausted, which I assume is from the treatments and school, she got sick when we were 8, got better when we were 10 now it's just keeping it away. I guess she went to take a nap in our room. We aren't twins, I'm 10 months older.

Later that evening when my older brothers, Sam and Charlie, were home, we were all, minus Mayson, sitting on the couch, me and David Micheal doing a puzzle and Charlie and Sam playing a video game.

"Nice shot, Charlie." Sam said.

"Better than yours." Charlie replied.

"Who's hungry?" Our mom asked, coming in with 3 boxes of pizza.