Chapter 2:

THERE'S GOT TO BE A MORNING AFTER

Davina's POV

"So, your dresses for the gala will be here by 1. I want you to try them on and let know if they fit," Annabella said.

The woman who adopted me was probably one of the most beautiful women I had ever seen. She was around 5'7" and what she lacked in the chest area she made up for with her elegant beauty and long toned legs. She had waist length luscious dark brown hair, a diamond-shaped face with slanted blue eyes, high cheekbones and a button nose over full Cupid's bow lips. Her skin was a pale gold color that no shade of foundation could ever match so she never wore it brought from the store.

Growing up, I was always comparing myself to her, and I always felt inferior to her and my best friend/sister Ashyrah who was the spitting image of her mother with slightly darker skin due to her black father. I was an adult before I learned to love my gap teeth, golden-brown skin, my long midnight black curls and my short, slimly curved frame. Though there were still times when I felt out of place with my beautiful adoptive family.

Annabella and I had a complicated relationship. When I came to live with them, I wasn't looking for a new mom. I just needed to be with people who loved me and understood that I needed time to process everything that had happened. Anna had wanted to be my mother and when I rejected her things had become strained. It was only a few years ago that things had gotten better between us.

"Mom, the gala is a week away. We have plenty of time," Shy said from her spot on our sofa.

She was staring at her phone and not really paying attention to her mother. I extended my leg across the couch and kicked her a little. She looked up startled, and caught Anna staring at her intently.

"I won't have you embarrass me with another wardrobe malfunction, Ashyrah. I'm just now confident with showing my face around the country club again," Anna said, and I couldn't help snickering, remembering exactly the incident she was referring to.

Shy and I were maybe 19 when we attended a charity event at our parent's country club.

We had snuck off and gotten white girl wasted so that by the time it was time to take the photo for the beneficiary of the night we were in no condition to stand and take a serious picture. The photographer was getting ready to snap the pic when Shy told him to hold on so that she could steady herself, but she ended up stepping on the front of dress which had been too loose in the bust area in the first place. Long story short, Shy is flashing her nipples in the picture that now hangs in the hall of honors at the country club.

Annabella goes red every time she has to walk past it, too.

"Okay mom. I'm not a kid anymore," Shy said, rolling her eyes.

"You sure act like one sometimes," Anna said, and I snickered again.

This time, Shy shot me a disapproving glare to which I just shrugged and went back to scrolling through my Instapic feed.

Social media was the most entertainment I had lately. Shy had been so busy trying to jumpstart here career that we haven't spent much time together and I really didn't have any friends aside from a few coworkers from the bakery. So, the internet and TV had become my besties over time.

"Oh, and Davina dear," Anna called, drawing my attention away from pictures of rescue puppies with hot guys.

"Yes, mom," I replied.

She opened our front door as she looked back at me with her striking dark blue eyes and said, "Please straighten your hair for the gala. For me."

"I'll consider it," I said. "Depending on what my dress looks like this year."