Chapter 1:

Davinas POV

I tried to be discreet as I checked over my shoulder for the hundredth time.

The rain pelted my head, soaking my hair and running into my eyes so that I could only make out three blurry shapes following me. They had been following me since Id left the cafe; I worked at ten minutes and 15 blocks ago. Id turned corners and ducked downside streets trying to run into someone or find some help, but so far, the streets had been completely empty.

Of course, my phone had died, not that it mattered anyway.

My best friend/sister was in LA trying to land either an acting or modeling gig. Our parents were busy with work and their social lives. And my brother was probably out partying and too drunk to drive himself home, let alone come rescue me. I didnt have anyone else.

Finally, I saw someone walking toward me.

He was tall and dressed in a black hoodie pulled low over his face, black jogging pants and black Nikes. He had headphones in, and I could hear his music from five feet away. He didnt seem to be paying much attention.

Taking a moment to consider that he was a robber, rapist, or murderer just like the men following me and figured Id have to take that chance if I wanted to be saved. Otherwise, I would just end up like my birth mother left broken and bloody in an alley. With one last glance over my shoulder at the figures following me I decided to go for it. "Hey," I said excitedly, and I barreled straight into the guy.

He looked surprised as one arm came up to either push me away or pull me in while the other removed his earbud. What, he asked in a heavily British-accented, raspy voice. "Can I help you, miss?"

"I'm sorry to ambush you, but you're the first person I've come across and these guys have been following me for a while. I've been walking in circles so I don't lead them back to my place. Can you please just pretend to me my friend," I pushed out in one breath.

He looked over my head at the guys who had stopped walking to watch us and I got the chance to see the bright green color of his eyes. They were beautiful.

"They arent even pretending to be subtle," he said quietly.

"No," I said.

With that he threw his arm around my shoulders. "What took you so long, love," he asked loudly.

"Sorry I got lost," I said, and we started walking back toward the way I'd come.

The guy gave the three creeps a murderous glare as we passed them, and they started moving in the original direction I had been going. We walked in silence in the cold rain for a little while.

"Are we going the right way," he asked.

I hesitated for a moment but then nodded when he gave me a serious look.

"I live right up here," I said pointing to my apartment.

"I'm Elijah by the way," he said, glancing behind us to make sure those guys hadnt turned back around.

I did the same before turning to look up at him. "I'm Davina and thank you so much. Again, Im sorry I made you go out of your way, but I was so afraid," I admitted shaking my head.

"Its fine, really. Im just glad you felt comfortable turning to me for help," Elijah said. Most people are intimidated by me, he said.

"Why? You seem like such a nice guy," I said smiling at him even while I shivered as cold water ran down my spine.

He smiled at me and it was heartbreakingly gorgeous. "Well, I'm covered in tattoos for one thing and the piercings dont help. Plus, I'm known to be a bit of an asshole," he admitted and shook his head.