Chapter Fourteen: Wounded

'BANG!'

You heard the sound of the gun going off. You heard it. You saw your entire life passing before your frightened eyes and regret filled your entire being. You felt that. You felt the cold of the air around you as it seemed to pass right through your clothing and taunt your body. You'd felt the horror of the moment. Now, you couldn't even feel anything. You even saw the bullet. You hadn't even had the time to squeeze your eyes shut when he pulled the trigger.

So why were you still breathing?

Everything was a blur. The sky and the pale moonlight were smeared together, like paint on a canvas. The green of the grass was fuzzy. The trees were in multiple places at once, and seemed to be moving. Even the scene in front of you was a blur. 'I must be dreaming. Or dead. Or both. Definitely both.' You thought in confusion. You watched two blurred people fighting on the ground. A darker figure and a lighter figure. The lighter figure seemed to be winning.

'BANG! BANG!'

Right after two more gunshots echoed throughout the darkness, you blacked out, slumping to the ground.

~Dirk's POV: Just Before The First Shot~

I broke the rules. I was supposed to stay away from the area. Completely away. The plan had me stationed about a block from where (y/n) and William were. There was absolutely no way in h*ll I was going to stay there. I didn't give a f*ck about (y/n)'s 'conditions.' I had snuck away from my post as soon as Doc Scratch's van drove away from having dropped me off. I looked around at the area I was supposed to wait in. It was almost entering a downtown area, and there were people going in and out of stores. Most people were walking into this one restaurant that seemed to be popular. '... Yeah, no.' I thought bitterly and made my way to the park, walking in the dark.

I honestly couldn't help myself. (Y/n) may have thought that her chances were better without me being nearby, but I wasn't going to put her in danger like that. Not only that, but I felt... Drawn to her somehow. Even though her recklessness made me want to slap some words of sense into her, I had been so angry over the past week that I hadn't really even talked to her. 'How can she not care about her own well-being? What is she thinking?' I had thought to myself, worrying. Which, of course, surprised me. My reaction to her decision completely threw me off. Especially since, for once, my mind seemed to be agreeing with my heart. Despite being worried for her, though, I was also looking at it from a logical and reasonable point of view. After all, she was about to inherit an entire country. One that needed fixing. One that needed her. I couldn't let her throw that or her life away so carelessly.

Once I finally reached the park, I half-regretted my decision. When I looked around for (y/n), I almost immediately found her. She was being kicked by that son of a b*tch. She screamed as loud as she could, her voice cracking in the process, and it was clear she was crying. I flash stepped over to some bushes and hid behind them so that I wouldn't get caught. I reluctantly watched as William continued his onslaught and I had to clench my jaw and turn my head away for a moment to try and calm myself down. I wanted nothing more than to run over there and beat the f*ck out that bastard... But I had to restrain myself.

When I finally regained a bit of composure and strength, I was able to turn my vision back to the sickening scene. The second I laid my eyes on what was happening, my blood ran cold. William was holding a gun and pointing it straight at (y/n). She was pleading.... But it wasn't working. My eyes were wide and I began moving without even knowing that I was. All of the sudden, it was like I had no control over my own body. No logic, no reason would've kept me from doing what I did. The only thing I could think about was about how slow everything seemed to be moving. I could hear my heartbeat... I could feel the adrenaline combined with the blood rushing throughout my body. '(Y/n)....' In my mind, her name was repeated over and over again.... My thoughts were filled of nothing but her and how I needed to get to her as fast as I could.

I ran as fast as physically possible, not even having the right mental state to consider flash-stepping my way over to her. 'I'm going to make it.... I'm going to make it!' I thought, determined.

I stretched out and tackled William as hard as I could right as he pulled the trigger. 'BANG!' The sound of the gunshot filled the previously silent night air. He hit the ground first, his back scraping against the hard, dirt-packed ground.

"YOU B*****D!!!!" I found my mouth speaking without my permission, rage clearly imprinted on my face. My anime shades fell on my face as I punched William hard and received a loud 'pop!' in reward. He yelled, and I found the sound to be nothing but satisfying. He looked at me in shock and aggravation. His face suddenly twisted up and he snarled.

"GET THE F*** OFF OF ME!!!!" He yelled in anger, and I punched him again. I couldn't control myself. I hated him with everything I had in me. Not just because of how much of a despicable person he was.... But also because I realized something. I cared for (y/n). I cared too much for her. I realized, in some sense, that I liked her. The fact only occurred to me as I was running to save her. I had never felt anything like what I felt around her before. She made it so that I couldn't think straight... She forced my true feelings to the surface. She made my heart race. She made my blood boil. I was done avoiding what was so blatantly obvious. I liked her. My fists found their way to Williams face repeatedly, over and over again. He writhed beneath me, but I was pinning him down with my weight. Blood gushed from his nose. There were a couple of other places where the tanned skin had torn and he was bleeding from there too.

'BANG BANG!'

I saw the hatred and the anger in his eyes a split second before the gun went off again. Twice. My eyes widened. The adrenaline blocked out most of the pain, but I clenched my teeth. I craned my head to see that he had shot me twice in the shoulder. I growled and my lips twisted up in hatred. I was livid. Infuriated. There were no correct words to describe the level my anger had reached. It shone clearly in my eyes, no barrier between my emotions and his gaze. I got up and off of William only to kick the gun out of his grasp. For a moment, there was fear in his dark eyes, but it didn't even make me blink. He began crawling away from me, but I immediately retaliated by kicking him, just like he did to (y/n), right in the ribs. There were several audible cracks and he screamed in a low, guttural tone. I was about to kick him again when I felt a hand on my shoulder. It was Doc Scratch. He was giving me a stern look... One that I understood all too well.

I looked back at William who was lying pathetically on the ground, clutching his torso and letting out animal-like screams. I couldn't say that I felt bad. I clenched my blood-stained fists and backed away from him, squeezing my exposed eyes shut. As the adrenaline began fading out of my system, my hand instinctively found it's way to my injured shoulder, trying to stop the blood flow.

"......." There were no words said between Doc scratch and I as William picked himself up and began running. I winced again, and suddenly my eyes went wide again as I realized that I hadn't even checked on (y/n). I whipped my head around, forgetting the pain once again. She was lying on the ground, unconscious. I broke out into a cold sweat.... Had I been too late? 'No.... Sh*t..... No!!!!' I thought and raced over to her, dropping to my knees to make sure she was okay. I breathed a sigh of relief as I realized that she wasn't wounded by the gun, although she had other injuries that needed to be looked at. 'She must of passed out from the exhaustion.... Or maybe just the whole deal made her pass right the h*ll out.... God.... That scared me....' I thought, slipping my hands underneath her and lifting her up and into my hold with ease. I turned and saw Doc Scratch giving me a serious, yet somehow knowing look. I looked away from him.

"Come on now, Dirk. Let's get you two cleaned up and somewhere safe." He offered firmly, but it sounded more like an order. I sighed and cringed as I adjusted my grip on (y/n).

"Alright."