Chapter Seven: Losing Sight and Coming Undone

*Extra Warning! I've already tagged several triggers on this story, but for insurance and so people don't complain, get offended, or are triggered emotionally or mentally by any of the material in this chapter, I'm going to pinpoint what you'll see in it as a word of caution. There will be the following in this section: blood, gore, abuse, screaming, a knife, William, mildly depressing thoughts, etc. If you are triggered, are easily depressed, or feel provoked by the above mentioned things, please, I advise you to either a) proceed reading with caution, b) skip over anything you begin to feel uncomfortable with, or c) skip the chapter completely. Thank you!*

~~~

~Your POV~

Your eyes widened. You hadn't been expecting him. You had thought he would approach you sometime earlier. You had been expecting him to drag you away from public areas, like he usually did. You had thought you were safe, if only for the day. But unfortunately, you were completely wrong.

You felt the urge to laugh dryly, which you quickly suppressed. This had happened so many times that you were honestly numb to the idea of it. It almost amused you. Yeah, maybe you could have told Jade or Sollux about this. But you didn't want to put them through that. 'Oh, (y/n)'s going through another issue,' you thought they would have said. You didn't want to burden them. You didn't want to look weak in front of them. But most of all, you just didn't want to get hurt. So many wounds had been inflicted on you by so many people. All accusing you of doing things that you had never intended your actions to imply. You didn't want to hear another word out of anyone's mouth concerning yourself. You wanted to disappear.

You just wanted to protect them... you wanted everyone you cared about to be happy, even if that meant that you weren't. Even if that meant that they wouldn't return the sentiment. Even if that meant that everyone left you or hated you eventually. The truth was, you loved people. You just couldn't bear the hurt of being with them. Yes, you had become more distant and cold. You didn't want anyone to feel burdened by your problems. First, your parents abandoned you. Then, you figured out that most of your siblings were dead. And if you'd even had a friend left after they'd all abandoned you, then that friend would have had to endure listening to your sorrowful, self-degrading sob stories.

And then, there was the guy in front of you. He'd made it clear he'd do anything to make you miserable. He had given you no reason, but then again, did he really even need one? Anyone could get messed up over anything, even over being slightly annoyed. His reasons could have been as simple as needing to hurt you to vent. Feeling bored. Feeling angry. Disliking you. He'd already proved time and time again that he was a f*cking sociopath. What more of an explanation did you need, after everything you'd been through? More than anything, you just wanted him to leave you alone. H*ll, you would have preferred enduring the presence of Dirk over dealing with that sadist.

William looked you over coldly.

"(Y/n)... What the h*ll are you doing out here?" He asked roughly. You flinched at the tone of his voice. 'Please....' You thought pleadingly, dread filling every crevice of your soul. You really didn't want to deal with him. Everything you did and said was wrong in his eyes... But you couldn't help opening your mouth, despite the punishment you knew was coming.

"I w-was... I was just..." You began, sitting up quickly, trying to come up with an answer, your eyes flashing with panic and fear. He laughed mockingly at you as you trailed off. You shivered. You hated the sound of the deep, rumbling voice vibrating against his chest.

"Just shut up. More importantly, why the ever loving f*ck is that son of a b*tch at our school?" He asked, anger seeping through his rough tone though his expression was completely normal. A small smile was etched onto his face, his dark eyes as calm as they were when you had first met him. You found it bewildering and terrifying, how he was able to keep completely calm, knowing what he was about to do. You opened your mouth to try and explain again, trying to keep yourself from shaking. He slapped you.