Prologue: Out Of Control

You were the modern princess of Northwestern Earth. Cliché, yes, I know. But maybe what made you interesting was the dull look in your eyes. Maybe it was the fact that you wanted to be someone else. Maybe it was the fact that, at the age of seventeen, your life was a mess and you had absolutely no idea how it happened. Okay, well maybe that last part was a lie. You did know how it happened.

When you were born, your parents, the king and queen of Northwestern Earth, decided to leave you and all of their responsibilities to your elder sister, Jade. Jade, however, couldn't become the queen because she was the product of an affair your father had with a rather beautiful servant. The servant, of course, had been "taken care of" after Jade was born and this was revealed. So, for a while, your kingdom was left without a ruler. About two years later, your parents were found to have died, leaving you as an heir under the condition that you had to marry before or on your eighteenth birthday to become the queen of the kingdom.

Due to everything that happened with your parents in your youth, you had grown up with abandonment issues and began to dislike being around people. You had come to believe everyone left you or hated you eventually, so you didn't see the point in trying to get along or socialize. You had no problems talking to people indirectly, like how you did through a chat app named Pesterchum, but your sister couldn't get you to hang out with someone willingly in real life for the entire world. Jade was a wonderful older sister, although you felt that she didn't always understand you. She did what she thought was best for you, having to play the role of your guardian when no one else could. She was convinced that the dreams she had when she slept determined fate, so she used them as guidelines to raise you as well as she could.

Your sister opened up to you about your other siblings when you were about fourteen years old. Two of them had been aborted and one of them had been a miscarriage after you had been born. Jade had even come up with names for them. The first two would have been boys. Jake and John. The miscarriage would have been a girl named Jane. Needless to say, you hadn't been expecting any of that, as it was with practically everything in your life. You tried not to think about those things when you were a kid; you found that contemplating your parents and late siblings made you feel worse about everything. You had been disturbingly okay with a lot of things when you were younger. But as you got older, these facts pushed their way into your fragile mind began eating away at your confidence and your views on life and people.

Years after Jade had informed you of your unfortunate siblings, the thoughts had only just begun piling up inside your head. 'Jake... John... Jane.... They probably would have been better choices for rulers than me.' 'They deserve to be alive. Not me.' 'Why am I even here? What did I ever do to deserve this?' 'I'm not even special or important...' 'My parents never loved me in the first place. Not only that, but everyone seems to hate me...' You had begun locking yourself in your room, refusing to talk to even your sister, who was getting more and more worried about you by the day. So worried, that after a bit of persuading, she had you enrolled into a prestigious school nearby. She knew you would have to come out. You would have to socialize. You weren't allowed to just not go, so you went. You didn't see how it would change anything, anyway. Boy, were you wrong.

From the second you had stepped foot onto Skaia Academy's grounds, you knew you were going to hate it. Everyone stopped to stare at you when you passed them by. You had taken a deep breath and tried to make what you could of the ignorant day. By the end of it, you had made no friends, as anticipated. Not that this bothered you, though. You even preferred it. As time went on, though, you became even more isolated. No one so much as talked to you. The teachers were harder on you. It really seemed as if everyone was doing everything they could to make your life miserable. Then, one very fateful day, everything changed. And believe me when I tell you that it wasn't for the better.