Chapter Twenty

I waited with Alexi until Orion returned a short time later. Alexi tried a couple more attempts at conversation, letting me know how little I understood about the big, bad world of the Cirque, but I ignored him until he fell into contemplating the bottom of his drink and was silent.

I still liked him though, but not when he was drunk. That was often the case, even my own sister had been mildly tolerable while sober, but had become another person when she drank.

I had always been blamed for her drinking, but that was far behind me now.

Orion swept in with no warning, droplets of rain clung to his jacket and he drew a sweep of fresh smelling air behind him.

"What's going on?" I asked and jumped up, "where's Cairo?"

"He was taken downtown for questioning," Orion said and hung up his hat, "I sent our lawyer along with him. The police reassured me they are simply ruling him out as a suspect at this point. The phone appears to be a terrible coincidence."

"Do they need to talk to me at all?" I asked, "Cara was my roommate after all."

"You barely knew her, what could you possibly have to add to this dialogue?" Orion asked. He wasn't being mean, just plainly stating a fact.

I decided to head back to my trailer to decompress and go through the last couple days. My head felt stuffed full of information, and I felt as though there were answers there if only I could unravel it all.

"Can I go back to my trailer? Is it safe?" I asked.

"Yes, please do," Orion replied and removed his jacket, gave it a stiff shake and hung it near the door. He gestured towards Alexi who was now slumped in the chair, possibly sleeping or passed out. "What's with him?" he asked.

"I think he's a little tipsy," I replied and tried to move around him to leave. The RV, in spite of the slide out and luxury, was still a little uncomfortable once you were in a room with a man who terrified and intrigued you.

"Did he tell you anything?"

"Nothing of importance."

"What did he say?"

"Just shit about me not knowing a thing, how I should stay away from Cairo, how you're a bunch of wolves...stuff he's heard from you I'm sure."

"Nothing about the murder?" Orion persisted and narrowed his eyes. He glanced over my shoulder at the sleeping Alexi and something tweaked in the back of my head.

"Does he know something?" I asked. "Could he help Cairo?"

"I don't think so," Orion said, but the look in his eyes said otherwise. I shivered and wondered if he would let his own son go to jail to cover up his involvement in something like murder.

I didn't think Orion would think twice to save his own ass, he would watch Cairo go down in flames if it meant staying out of trouble.

"If you know something, please tell the police," I pleaded, "Cai might be in deep shit here, Orion, as his father you should stand up for him."

Orion grabbed my arm and hissed in my face, "I will protect what's mine. I don't need some second rate performer telling me how to manage my business. Stay out of this, or I'll have you shipped home faster than you can scream my son's name. Do you understand?"

I was aware that I had pushed him too far, yet again. I was aware that his fingers were digging into my flesh, but thankfully I couldn't feel it. I was also aware that nobody knew where I was, and if Orion was involved in Cara's murder, I should probably back down and get the hell out of there before I ended up beaten and dead with my throat ripped open.