Part one

Lilith

God was punishing her for vanity. She was sure of it, She had taken the Halo for granted. She had slacked in her prayers and practice after Shannon's selection. She knew she would be the next warrior nun. She knew she had to carry on the legacy of her family. She had worked hard for it, She had outworked every other nun in the order. It was all for nothing.

Ava Silva was the warrior nun. She was not fit for the role. She was a girl given a second chance at life. She seemed intent on squandering it. It grated her that this girl; Untrained and underskilled for even the most quotidian human professional was the warrior nun. She was forced to train this insolent brat. She was so flippant about everything, She didn't learn, nor did she try to. She was content with throwing sarcastic remarks and falling over. They were all going to die if this idiot was supposed to lead them.

The most infuriating part of the ordeal was that the other nuns liked her. The instant Ava started to make the tiniest hints of progress. Every other nun fell over themselves to ingratiate themselves with the new warrior nun. Even Mary had grown fond of her. She didn't understand it, What was there to like about her? Her personality, was non-existent unless you could call empty sarcasm a personality. Her intelligence? An option not worth wasting time over. Her sense of humor? Ava could be funny in moments and she had caught herself smiling at her jokes but she couldn't stand long exposure to her nonsense.

Was it that she was pretty? Lilith couldn't deny that Ava was cute in the way a puppy was; Soft, small, and with persuasive eyes. That didn't make sense, Sister Beatrice was far more attractive. Sister Beatrice carried herself with so much more grace and poise, She was just as adorable and had a far superior personality. She didn't see what Sister Beatrice saw in Ava either. They may not be the best of friends but she still respected her judgment, alas, it too had been proven faulty. Were all her companions so base that all it took was a moderately pretty nun with a beautiful smile to entrance them? Weren't they trained to overcome their baser instincts?

Her train of thought was broken by Ava sitting down next to her.

"Why were you staring at me?" She asked

"I was not staring at you." She defended herself. Ava just laughed, An irritating warm laugh that filled the room and made her uncomfortable.

"Are you still mad that I beat you today?" Ava asked

"You didn't beat me, I was distracted." She huffed.

"Who distracted you?" Ava teased lightly touching her shoulder. she hated it when Ava touched her, She hated the fact that she had, by the virtue of the halo far more strength than she could possess. It made her feel so fragile and soft and she was neither. It was incredibly unfair that this woman had gotten the Halo. She had been distracted by her touch but anyway, she shouldn't bother to respond to such silly taunts. "Is there anything you want from me?" She asked.

Ava looked hurt. "No, There is nothing." She said sullenly before leaving

Lilith immediately felt a flush of guilt. Had she been too harsh? She hadn't meant to be too harsh. She hated that she let this girl get under her skin. She hated how she forced Lilith to spend hours thinking about her. If only Ava had been a competent warrior nun, She would not be thinking about her at all. She had no other reasons to think of the nun. She had no other reason to keep thinking about Ava.