Chapter Eight

[September 1st, 1991]

Melisandre woken up at five o'clock the morning of September 1st and was too excited and nervous to go back to sleep. She'd pulled on an oversized grey jumper over a white collared shirt, and black skirt. Stockings adorned her legs and her black heeled Mary Janes sat comfortably on her feet. She had checked her Hogwarts list four times already; made sure her black cat Binx was in sight and then busied herself for the next five hours. After nearly burning a hole in the carpet of the hallway with her constant pacing, the girl felt two hands on her shoulders stopping her in her place. With small quiet laughter Hadrian told the girl not to worry, the train wouldn't be going anywhere; until 11:00 that is.

After ushering the rest of her family, the girl gathered her school supplies, adjusted Binx on her shoulder and stepped into the Floo with a handful of powder and yelled loud and clear,

"KINGS CROSS STATION, LONDON !"

[Kings Cross Station, London]

The Evans family, dressed in their finest, strolled through the crowded train station with a poise and confidence that would make the Malfoy's jealous as they made their way to platform 9 and ¾. Glancing around in concealed amazement I gazed upon the famous platform 9 ¾.

"— packed with Muggles, of course —" I heard a voice say.

Turning towards the voice my eyes swept over the plump figure of who I can only assume to be Molly Weasley, surrounded by four boys and a small girl, each with a head of flaming red hair. Each with their own luggage, with one of the boys holding a cage with a sleeping owl on its perch.

Stuck in her daydream the girl flinch slightly as Harry had gently pushed her forwards, guiding her towards the group in front of the platform.

"Fred, you next," the plump woman said. "I'm not Fred, I'm George," said the boy. "Honestly, woman, you call yourself our mother? Can't you tell I'm George?" "Sorry, George, dear." "Only joking, I am Fred," said the boy, and off he went passing through the platform wall.

After watching the Weasley family run through the barrier Petunia gently grabbed her son's hand and with a nod to Hadrian walked briskly toward the barrier with an air of confidence and then suddenly they had simply disappeared.

A warm hand grabbing mine snapped me into the present as I looked away from the space Aunt Petunia and Dudley had been moments ago and looked into Harry's reassuring gaze.

"What if none of this is real and I crash into the wall and make a fool of myself" I worried as nerves settled into my stomach.

"Then well do it together "Harry said as he squeezed my hand reassuringly, the sincere look on his face so fierce it shocked me.

With a small smile and a flurry of confidence I started to walk towards the barrier, hands still clasped with Harry's, we began walking faster, We were going to crash into the barrier — we were at a light jog and the barrier was getting closer and closer to my face — we were a foot away — I closed my eyes in fear —

The pain never came... I hadn't realised that we had stopped until I opened my eyes.

Smoke drifted through the air over the heads of the chattering crowd, the scarlet steam engine sat idly next to the stone platform with an overhead sign saying Hogwarts Express, Eleven o'clock.

Standing a few feet from the pair was an excited Dudley and poised Petunia who attempted to reign in her eager son. Sparing a fleeting glance at Harry I walked over to the pair and said a sincere goodbye and with a hug, and a joking promise to Dudley said I'd bring him back a small devils snare to which petunia paled slightly.

With a satisfied giggle Harry and I made our way to the train. The first few carriages were packed with students, some sticking their heads out to talk to their families. We passed carriage after carriage until we stopped at the last carriage in the train; the carriage that the Marauders had dubbed their own during their schooling, and the carriage that they would now dub their own for the rest of their time at Hogwarts. Binx, who'd been sleeping on my shoulder since we'd left home suddenly perked up and with graceful movements leaped onto the left seat where he curled up and quickly fell asleep. That toe rag, how I wish I could fall asleep that quickly.

After a quick, sneaky look down the corridor Harry stepped into the compartment and wordlessly and windlessly floated his trunk in the air and tucked it away in a corner of the compartment. With a pleading look I looked to Harry and then toward my own trunk which laid before my feet. Just as he was about to do the same to my trunk a figure suddenly appeared next to me.

"Want a hand?" said George, one of the twins I had seen at Diagon Alley, who also just happened to be my favourite character along with his twin.

With a nervous squeak I agreed and with a glance down the corridor he yelled "Oi Fred! C'mere and help me". Out of nowhere Fred had appeared and grabbed hold of my discarded trunk at my feet, tucking it in the corner of the compartment.

"Thanks George, Fred." I said with a smile.

"No problem Meli." Said George

"Yeah, don't worry about it" Continued his brother.

"See you at Hogwarts, hopefully you're in Gryffindor" they said in sync as they left to say goodbye to their family.

I spared a look down the corridor and then sat down next to the window, across Harry's own seat as Binx perched himself onto my lap once again falling asleep in seconds.

The train began to move, and I felt a wave of excitement as I shared a rare smile with Hadrian, as reality set in that this was really happening, that I was actually going to Hogwarts. And that we would have to deal with the hardships of being a potter, Ron and his mother, Draco Malfoy, Voldemort, and the death eaters and trying to figure out what we wanted to be our reputation; What house would I get? Would Harry choose Slytherin this time or would he go in Gryffindor?

My thoughts were disrupted as the door of the compartment slid open and a brash Ron had stepped into the compartment.

With a rude tone the boy asked if "we knew where Harry Potter was" because according to him he'd be his "new best friend"

To which Harry had replied that he wasn't sure that Harry Potter would want to be his friend considering how rude he was being. With an arrogant scoff the boy turned to me and asked the same question.

To which I, without looking up from my potions book declared I had not seen him and with a huff of annoyance the red-haired boy left the compartment.