Chapter One

[June 25th, 1987 -  Number 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey England]

THE BOY AND GIRL WHO LIVED

Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much They were the last people you'd expect to be involved in anything strange or mysterious because they just didn't hold with such nonsense.

The Dursleys shuddered to think what the neighbours would say if they knew about the two potters living under their roof. The two freaks appeared on their doorstep after Petunia's freak of a sister and her husband got themselves blown up, Vernon had said.

-July 31st, 1980-

"I won't stand for that freakishness in my house" Vernon screamed at his wife as his face turned red.

"They're just babies, they have nowhere to go Vernon" said Petunia softly as tears threatened to leak from her eyes. 

At his fathers raised voice Dudley burst out in tears and wailed loudly catching the attention of Petunia and the fat oaf who walked away to tend to his Duddykins. Petunia glanced at the two infants in her arms and marvelled at how they still slept soundly with all the noise.  

-June 25th, 1987-

Melisandre (Mel) and Hadrian (Harry) Potter awoke quite harshly from their sleep as their souls jumped into their now 7 year old selves. The cupboard was just how he'd remembered it; small, dusty and he'd already spotted a few spiders in his once over of the inside of the cupboard. Although the small cupboard had now felt increasingly claustrophobic due to the smaller body that sat beside him on the stained mattress,  Hadrian thought.  

upon examining his new twin sister, Melisandre was quite cute as a child, Hadrian thought. She had dark brunette hair that curled softly, reaching her waist; soft honey eyes that shone in amazement and she was small; smaller than him, he'd bet if they were standing she would come up to his shoulders. Looking further Harry's eyes zeroed in on her small wrists which had a bruise decorating her left one, standing out against her milky skin. Hadrian's new found brother senses spiked in anger, he'd known that it was Vernon's doing, Petunia never hit him - only yelled, wasn't in her nature.  

"Harry" said Melisandre timidly.

"Yeah Mel?" 

"I just realised that we're 7 and we still live with the Dursleys. They're gonna hurt us aren't they" Melisandre said in fright. The reality of this world finally weighing on her small shoulders.

"Don't worry Mel, as long as I'm here you'll be safe" Hadrian said reassuringly.

Melisandre smiled brightly up at Hadrian as she thought about his sweet words. And Hadrian Grimaced as he thought about Mortems threats about protecting his sweet girl. Shoving the thought aside Hadrian promised himself that he would protect the girl that was now his sister, He'd protect her from everyone that wished them harm, even if it meant he'd have to get a bit tougher in this life.

A harsh kick to the cupboard door and Vernon's thumping steps told the twins that it was time to wake up as the fat man mumbled beneath his breath about bacon and how they'd better not screw it up. 

Hadrian opened the small cupboard door and quickly crawled out before turning back to his sister with an outstretched hand and small smile. Grabbing his hand firmly, the two shut over the small door and went off to start cooking breakfast for the Dursley's. Melisandre started on the eggs while Harry gathered the cutlery and plates in silence, for they knew in their bones not to make too much noise. It was better to pretend your invisible; to make no noise and pretend that you do not exist. 

Petunia Dursley walked into the busy kitchen with a small smile on her face after seeing that her husband was not present at the moment. Immediately she sat down at the table and drank her tea with a barely heard thank you to the twins. Hadrian's eyes nearly bulged out of his head hearing the soft whisper of recognition from his aunt who, in his last life had been absolutely foul towards the boy. Harry wondered if Mel's presence had really changed that much or perhaps this was one of Mortems special surprises he'd had in store. Either way, Harry liked it. Although he'd never say it out loud in fear she'd immediately sneer and turn her head. 

After being graced with Vernon and Dudley's scraps for breakfast Harry and Mel immediately set to cleaning up the kitchen with practised grace as Vernon thumped his way out of the house for work with Dudley trudging his way after his father happily with a soft goodbye on his lips, reserved for his mother. 

the rest of the twins day had been set according to Petunia; first they'd dust and clean the house, then they'd weed the garden, polish the silverware, and do the laundry. Then to Hadrian's utter shock, Petunia allowed them to sit in the living room for the rest of the day until Dudley and Vernon came home. 

Maybe this time It'll be different he thought. 

Many weeks had gone by and Melisandre was accustoming to her new routine, it seemed Petunia never ran out of chores the twins needed to do, maybe she's a clean freak thought Melisandre shrugging.  Vernon never tired of pushing the twins around, especially Harry, considering he took his role as big brother quite seriously and took Vernon's angry attention off of Mel and redirected it to himself. He could handle it, he told Mel holding her as her body shook late at night looking at his bruises. 

The twins had grown accustomed to spending their nights cuddled up like puppies as they found themselves without a blanket, shivering during the cold night. Harry curled protectively around his sister as they slept, his back facing the door in case Vernon decided it was as good time as ever to hit one of them. 

Which brings us to this moment. Harry was slowly teaching Mel to do wandless magic; a difficult process which many adult witches and wizards had trouble with. Mel and harry, thanks to one of Mortem's little gifts, had a natural affinity for wandless magic they had realised, especially after Mel floated a book towards herself while thinking about it one day.

After honing their skills in wandless magic the twins decided to start training their occlumency and Legilimency skills. Testing the waters they'd decided to try reading Dudley's thoughts and were extremely happy to find that they had a natural affinity for both as well. Thanks Mortem, Mel and Harry thought excitedly. 

After weeks and weeks of the same routine, Vernon had exploded in rage. Upset at how perfectly the two freaks had been acting he was looking for any excuse to hit the twins. One particular day Mel had just finished cleaning Dudley's Toy room when she'd tripped down the stairs and hit the wall falling to the floor, and with her came the perfect Dursley family portrait that hung on the wall. The photo smashed on the floor and glass imbedded itself into Melisandre's delicate skin and as blood dripped from the open wounds the Dursley house shook with Vernon's rage.