1

IBADAN, NIGERIA
02:00am

   Sirens are wailing from a distance. They get louder and closer. An ambulance speeds through the driveway closely followed by two police vans. Almost immediately, nurses come running through the hospital doors as a man is pulled out on a stretcher straight into the emergency ward. Some bloggers and media personalities are also present, each trying to get a great shot and some hints so they can be the first to air the breaking news. Few minutes later, it begins to rain lightly, with the moon barely peeking out from the sky.
                                                                        Inside the hospital, doctors are running around to and from the emergency ward trying their best to revive the patient just brought in. He is a very important personality in the society so they have to give in their very best to keep clean records. After an hour of futile efforts, he is pronounced dead. At that moment, there is cackling thunder followed by bouts of lightning in the sky. Huge drops of water pour from the sky. A giant has fallen! Yeah, a very mighty one at that.

By dawn, the news was everywhere - the death of the wealthiest business tycoon in the city of Ibadan, Mr Sameer Akintunde Gold. He had at least a share in every large business in the city of Ibadan and a good number in Lagos, ranging from ports to banks. He was the CEO/Founder of Golden Enterprises, the leading agro-business venture in the whole country. He was rushed to the hospital last night after a hotel attendant had made a distress call to the nearest police station and hospital. According to the reporters, he was found lying in a pool of blood in a bathtub struggling to hold on to his dear life when the ambulance got to him. No one knows what happened to him before then.

His wife instructed the police to be silent about the matter and for his autopsy report not to be disclosed to the general public until further notice so no one has a clue of what went wrong. Some bloggers were already doing justice to the situation as some juicy rumors had spread fast across the internet about the cause of his death.

Some said it was some of his business partners that murdered him while others said it was his enemies. Some even went as far as saying his wife caught him at a hotel with another lady so she killed him out of anger. Haa! But none of these were verified. It was only some people trying to make money off others with fake news.

He was taken taken down to his hometown that day for immediate burial as unlike his wife, he was a Muslim and his religion demanded he be buried the same day of his death. He was buried with only his wife, immediate family, friends and a few relatives in attendance as many couldn't make it within such a short notice. Even his children couldn't come until the next day as they had to fly in from abroad. An elaborate ceremony was organized in honor of him a month later so that people from far and near could pay their last respects as he was very influential.

                * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The party took place on a Saturday. As at Friday evening, cars of different makes and sizes were already trooping into the venue. Reservations were made for the party to hold at Saire hotels and the entire hotel was already booked down for the event.

On the D-Day, the women appeared in matching royal blue cord lace dresses with gold headgears to match while the men showed up in flowing royal blue agbadas and gold caps. It was one to be much remembered as many important personalities were in attendance.

Founders of companies and their partners, Directors of companies, friends, family and even some white men graced the occasion. Even the Minister of Agriculture was present as   they had met on several occasions before his demise and were quite close.

The flashes and clicks of cameras could be seen and heard all around as the event had mass publicity coverage. His wife looked the most stunning as she had her dress fully stoned from top to bottom. She sparkled elegantly as the sun shone generously on her dress.

The legendary Fuji musician Pasuma was the chief entertainer at the party as they all danced merrily to his soft tunes. Everyone expressed their sincere affection for him as they prayed for the repose of his soul and also for the family which he left behind. They showered his family with both financial and material gifts as a way of expressing concern for them.

Like every typical Nigerian party, specifically Owambe parties, there was surplus of food and drinks. From the oh-so-great Nigerian jollof rice, to fried rice, to chicken, turkey and meats of all kinds were made available. Even local delicacies like pounded yam, ofada rice, Amala, vegetable soup, pepper soup and lots more were not left out as they rolled out on plates in large quantities.

The drinks were not left out as expensive wines and alcoholic drinks of different makes were served to every guest. And to cap up a great Naija party was the takeaway package everyone received.

Aside from the food and drinks served, there were also expensive souvenirs that were reserved for all the guests. Rumors even had it that the latest iPhone as at then which was iPhone 12 was distributed randomly among the guests.

Call it a waste or not, it was a time worthwhile and a party worth telling after all. The party ended with a vote of thanks to all that attended, which was rendered by the son of the deceased, Jamal. After that, everyone dispersed slowly as some returned home, while others retired to their respective hotel rooms.

                               * * *
                   Author's Note;

Hey guys, we're finally done with the first chapter. I hope u enjoyed it. If u did, kindly leave your comments and also don't forget to vote! ( Your comments mean a lot 🧡🧡🧡 )