10

As they sighted the door labelled "reception", they hopped on the rotating doors which led them inside. The interior was nicely structured with the designs kept at a moderate level most likely because it was a working environment. They strode towards the receptionist's stand and flashed the young man stationed there their IDs all at once. The man seemed dazed for a minute but soon found himself back as he looked at his computer screen before finally speaking to them.

"Good day gentle officers of the law. You're welcome to Golden Enterprises.
How may we be of help to you?". He flashed them a killer smile as he shifted his gaze from one to four of them, waiting for a response.

"We're here for your CEO, we have somethings for her," Apata replied slowly.

"Do you have an appointment?", the man asked kindly.
Apata shot him an irritated glare before responding. "Yes".

"Okay please kindly take a seat for a moment while I contact her secretary".
The young man showed them the other side of the hall and they moved briskly, occupying the last four seats at the back row.

The receptionist took out a telephone and punched some numbers on it before raising the phone to his ear. He spoke with the person on the other side for a minute before signalling to them to come.

They moved towards him and he returned the phone to it's cradle before speaking again.

"Fifth floor, take the elevator. Third room to your left when you land, labelled A319." He dished out directions and they left without even sparing him an appreciation.

They took the elevator and did as instructed and soon they stood face-to-face with the door labelled A319 in gold lettering. Chuks reached out to knock but Apata twisted the knob and barged into the office instead.

Seated behind a long desk in the office was a dark skinned middle aged woman typing furiously on her keyboard, taking occasional pauses to push back the frame of her glasses. She looked up at them and gave a stern look.

"You're the ones here to see the boss?", she asked in her sharp authoritative voice.

"Yes", Chuks said as he nodded affirmatively.

The woman reached out for a large notepad at the other end of her table and looked through it. She looked at them and squinted disapprovingly.

"You are ten minutes late. The boss is in an important meeting right now so you would have to wait, or book another appointment some other day. She's not free till next week so– –"

"We'll wait. Thank you " Apata cut in sharply.

The woman immediately shot him her signature glare, clearly displeased about the interruption and she motioned for them to take a seat.

The woman continued her work, totally ignoring their presence and constant stares here and there. After about twenty minutes, Apata who couldn't hold it again stood and walked up to her, banging her desk slightly.

"Did you tell her we are waiting? We don't have all day here and she's taking much of our time", he ranted on, obviously vexed.

"I can't disturb her in the middle of a meeting. You chose to wait and if you had kept to your appointment by arriving on time, you wouldn't have missed her", the woman spoke, still not taking her gaze away from her monitor.

Apata was quiet for a while, his eyes trained on the ground before he finally found his words.

"This is a police case, so she has to give us audience", he said.
"And we can sue her for delaying police investigation", he added menacingly.

"Look around you young  man, this company is big enough to sue you and your entire police force if you in anyway interrupt the boss's meeting ", she replied finally looking up and shifting her eyes between four of them.

Just as Apata was about to say something else, a younger looking lady walked into the office with a small smile on her face. She looked from them to the secretary and back before turning away, her gaze lingering on Apata longer than necessary.

"Mrs. Dare, what's going on here?", the lady asked.

Mrs. Dare quickly got to her feet and began to explain everything. The young lady listened attentively and when she was done turned again to face the officers.

"I am the Personal Assistant to the CEO. We've been expecting you since but my boss is busy at the moment. Please wait and let me inform her of your arrival", she spoke politely.

"That'll be great, thank you", Chuks replied.

She opened her tablet and typed something on the screen before speaking again.
"She'll be done soon. You can come wait in her office in the meantime", she said, leading them out of the office and towards the elevator. They followed and got in as she picked the sixth floor and they stopped there.

They followed her as she led them down the hall and they took some turns before finally getting to a secluded part. The lady brought out her staff ID and put it on the ID scanner mounted on the huge glass doors which shielded the CEO's office. It beeped once and showed a green light. She then proceeded to look into the renal scanner and it identified her before the doors opened.

She got in and signalled for them to follow suit which they all did wordlessly. They walked on and soon met another door which the PA opened with her keys and they walked into the office.

The space was sparsely decorated. Plain white walls, the only form of decoration being portraits of the president and vice, the executive governor of the state, and one of Mr Sameer. There was also an abstract painting at the far end of the office.

The lady led them to a large parlour at the other side of the office. It had a dark glass center table and a set of sofas. They settled on them and awaited the arrival of the woman they'd come so far to see.

They didn't have to wait long because as soon as they were settled down, they heard a faint beep and almost immediately, the door opened to reveal an array of body guards who walked gracefully into the office.

They all turned their heads to look and Apata subconsciously held his breath as his deep dark eyes met the soft brown ones which peeked from behind the human barricade.

                         * * *

A/N
Heyyyy guys 😏
This is it ooo. Don't mind the late update abeg just enjoy the story 😁
Don't worry next chapter is on Friday by force by fire.

Soooo asper your responses on my picture offer, the picture on this chapter is one of my character, Detective Apata 🤤.
He's quite cocky in reality 😉 I told him to send a full pic but instead he sent me his passport 😂😂🤭 (abeg help us manage it)

That's Lamman Rucker tho...

As usual please 🙏 don't forget to vote and leave a comment 🙂 and maybe...just maybe we'll be seeing a pic of Layole next chapter.

❤️