Chapter 13

Gabriella's POV:

I can't believe they are letting me play. I know I am lucky. I feel so bad for lying about pain medication but I don't have a choice. I won't be able to play if I don't take it. I even thought about confessing and just saying I took advil, but I can't. Then I would be telling them I got in the safe. They will be so upset. I wonder if Stef's gun safe is the same code? Stef would kill me if I got in there but I can't help but be curious what else is in there. Not that I have any interest in guns.

I was so excited about my game tomorrow. I was more talkative than I have ever been since getting here. I think everyone was a little surprised, but I didn't even care.

In the midst of my nightmares last night I had a happier dream. It felt very real and I was very curious about it. Everyone was kind of doing their own thing after we finished dinner, but I wanted to find Lena. I wanted to ask her about my dream. I went to her bedroom and the door was shut. I took a deep breath and knocked. I hear "just a second" and then the door pops open revealing Stef. She smiles wide.

"Hi sweets, what's up?" I feel bad asking for Lena, what do I say?

"Uhm... I don't know." Stef laughs.

"Baby, you knocked on the door, is everything okay?"

"Yes, well... I was kind of looking for Lena. I wanted to ask her a question. I'm sorry." Stef smiles and rubs my arm.

"Honey, it's okay. You won't hurt my feelings because you are looking for Lena okay?" I just nod. "She isn't in here though. Last I heard she was outside pulling some weeds before it got dark."

"Okay, thanks," I say quickly, kind of running away.

I walk downstairs and look for Lena out the kitchen window. I see her back turned to the house and see her pulling up weeds. I walk outside quietly, not to startle her. Before I lose courage I call for her.

"Mama." I say nervously. I see Lena freeze. She slowly stands up and then turns around. There are tears in her eyes. I think she could tell it was me.

"I started that didn't I?" I look at her with a smile. She smiles at me and starts crying.

"You remember?" I can tell she is excited. She takes her gloves off and then sets them on the picnic table. She grabs me by the shoulder and guides me to the comfortable outdoor chairs. She looks at me, encouraging me to continue.

"I had a dream last night. In between the nightmares" I pause and cringe. She rubs my leg sympathetically. "I was with you and we were snuggling. We did that a lot didn't we?" I chuckle. She chuckles too, tears falling and nodding her head.

"I looked at you and said, "You're Mama, Mama." You laughed and said, "I am your Mama." I laughed and said, "Yes Mama. You are Mama, but Mommy is Mommy. You can't be Mommy and Mommy can't be Mama. You are Mama." You looked at me and said, "So I am Mama and Mommy is Mommy?" Then I giggled really hard and said, "EXACTLY!" Since then, everyone called you Mama and they called Stef Mom, didn't they?"

"Yes, they did. You did start it. You decided I was Mama and Stef was Mommy." She wipes some more tears.

"You are definitely a Mama, Lena." She looks at me sweetly and curious. "You are kind and generous. Good by nature. You are beautiful and graceful. You see the good in people, but especially your kids. You want what is best for us and you exude a soft nurturing energy that makes you approachable. It makes me want to be near you. You make me feel emotionally safe. Like I could trust you to hold my heart in your hands and I know you wouldn't break it. You would guard it with your life. Only a Mama could do that." My cheeks are definitely red as I say these things, but I can't help it. I keep feeling closer and closer to them as I get more memories. Lena can't stop crying and I don't mind. I just get really close and hug her. We hold each other. I can't help but cry too. I cry for all the hugs, snuggles and years I missed with my Mama.