Our Night

The chill of the night air helps one relax as they peer out into the lush starry sky. Resting on the marble ledge – no drinks needed, just a whiff of the air quenches thirst. Dan smiles as he listens to the jubilation of his family behind him. A hand reaches out and touches his back – a familiar feeling he knows well.

"Dear, you good?", he hears the sweet voice of his wife ask. His smile grows brighter as he replies, "Never better". She leans against the marble making sure to touch his shoulder as she takes a sip. A picture-esque scene is the thought that crosses the minds of those who look on.

Melinda takes another sip and smiles. "You know this reminds me of high school Dear", Dan is silent – Melinda glances at him cheekily. "Coming here wasn't random... was it?", she suggests – "Whatever do you mean? I just picked a place at random". Pinching his cheek Melinda says, "Liar" jokingly.

They both start giggling as Francine calls out to them, "Mom". Sighing they knock their glasses together and head back in from the terrace.

To say the night was still young, would be an understatement. Dede longed for her mother's embrace and fought to leave Francine's arms. Bobbily sat quietly upset – this outing had interrupted his plans for that evening. Though looking around he saw some possibility for enjoyment.

Dan and Melinda return to their seats and Dede scampers out of Francine's arms into the outstretched hands of her mother. Melinda sets Dede on her lap – Dede smiles with happy curiosity at her mother.

The clamor in the room is music to Dan as he reminisces.

"Ahem, ahem. We award this prize to Dan Lanford, an outstanding student we wish you all to aspire to become", applauding erupts. An embarrassed Dan heads to the podium and accepts his award. The students in unison shout, "Speech, speech, speech", hesitantly Dan grabs the mic, and again applauding erupts.

"A-a-ah what do I say?... I am thankful for this recognition-"

Melinda's voice calls him back to the present, "Dan honey. Dan honey?". "Sorry, sweetheart. I was lost in thought", he says with a smile. Melinda holds Dede out in front of him. He grabs her and smothers her in his arms as she laughs and claps. Bobby and Francine watch each other and smile.

As Dan plays with Dede the master of ceremonies announces the person whom everyone has gathered to acknowledge in the hall this night.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are here to recognize Mr. Dan Lanford, a devoted father who graces this company with his dedication and exceptional leadership. We appreciate the love and care he extends to us as if we are his family and that love we hope to return some of it here tonight", the hall fills with applause as Dan is called to accept his award and give a short speech.

Dan gives Melinda Dede as he fixes himself slightly and heads to the stage. Melinda is brimming with a smile that warms the air around her. She remembers that night.

"Mel, where're you going?"

"Anyway but here Jan."

"What... Why?"

"I just overheard them."

"Them? You mean Chrisy-"

"Yeah, apparent me winning was just a ploy-"

"A ploy. What for?"

"Come on Jan. You know they love to tease me..."

"Sorry..."

"...."

I am thankful for this recognition to be able to accept such an award is-

"Who is that?"