Chapter 24: Metal Robots

"Okay look, new plan," Maia looked beside her at Jacob. "I try to slow down the car and we jump out."

"Yeah, I agree," Jacob shuddered. "Who knows what person is controlling this thing remotely."

"On my mark," Maia hovered her foot over the break. "Three...two....ONE!" She shoved down on the break.

The corvette's tires squealed and slowed down slightly-but only for a moment. Just as quickly the gas pedal shot down and the car spun forward throwing Jacob and Maia against their seats.

"I thought you were going to press the break?" Jacob asked, holding onto the armrest for dear life as the car bolted forward, revving up past sixty RPI-the forest shooting by.

"I did!" Maia shouted, repeatedly trying to press down on the break. 'It's not working!'' She grit her teeth and tried harder. "It's not-"

She was flung forward and hit the steering wheel as the corvette screeched to a sudden halt.

"Quick, let's get out of here-fast," Jacob grabbed onto the door handle.

Maia was about to open the door when she heard a loud rumbling sound. The ground vibrated beneath her and she stared at Jacob. "Um, do you feel that?"

"It feels like a mini-earthquake," Jacob frowned, one foot outside the car.

Maia glanced out the back window of the car and her eyes widened.

The bushes rustled and lights blared as a large tank shot through them and hit the ground. All at once the tank began unfolding up into a tall metal robot that stood many stories high.

"Jacob," Stunned, Maia stammered as the robot took two large steps towards them.

"I..." her friend swallowed. "I see it."

********************

"What do you mean there's no driver?" Chris frowned as he hurried up beside his son. He stepped up on the running board and peered inside the driver's window. "Maybe it drives itself like those Electric cars?"

"No, it's too old a model to be a Tesla," With a frown, Henry glanced the tractor trailer over. Something was off.

Abruptly there was a clunking sound and the tractor trailer began to vibrate.

Hastily Chris jumped off the running board. He and Henry leapt back as the truck began to shake. To their surprise the big rig began to spin and furl upwards.

"What the hell.." Chris swore under his breath.

The tractor trailer was gone and in its place as a tall robot that stood higher than the garage.