Chapter One: To Kill or Be Killed

Martin woke up on a bed with two figures standing over him or more accurately sitting over him. The first figure (unexpectedly) was Ren, but the second figure. "Scott?" Martin questioned sitting up to get a better look at the boy who was giving him an unreadable look.

"Careful laddie, ye not want to overwork thine self" Ren said putting a hand on Martin's shoulder. "Ye ultimate survivor brought thee to thine bed" "well I mean you landed right next to me so it only made sense." Scott shrugged as if it were completely normal for people to summersault through the air and crash into the wall behind them.

"Thank you" Martin smiled and Scott looked away hiding his face. "You did good laddie, thee saved ye ultimate wolf tamer from meeting thine end." Ren congratulated patting Martin's back softly, "I must leave me hand, thee shadow queen needs thine help." Martin nodded and watched as Ren exited the room leaving him alone with Scott.

"Why did you save him?" Scott asked after a minute of silence, "because... it was the right thing to do?" Martin said confused by the question, "yeah but... you could've died, didn't you know that?" "I mean I did know that, but it was either me or him and it felt wrong to just let Joel die innit."

Scott shook his head, "I'll never understand people like you" "what does that mean?" "I'll tell you one day" and with that Scott left leaving Martin alone in a bed. It only took a few glances for Martin to know he was in a nursing wing or a medical bay he supposed. Before he could do anything Ren came back into the room saying that Monocuma gave them all a Monopad and Ren took it upon himself to give Martin his when he woke up.

The monopad had the rules listed on one page, a map of the first floor on another as well as a few other things. Martin pocketed the monopad as he left the medical bay he was immediately pulled into a random closet. "Ow!" Martin shouted as he bumped into something sharp. "Ooooh! It hit someone!" Cried a singsong, "oh deary me do you need a bandage for that Martin?" Another voice asked, "knowing Pearl that cut will be deep" a Scottish voice observed.

As Martin's eyesight adjusted he was met with the faces of Mumbo, Scott, and Pearl. "Uhm... what's happening?" Martin asked, "don't know, maybe someone wants to commit mass murder" Pearl guessed, "only you would do that Pearl" "awwwww, is my little cyan boy feeling guilty for being mean to little old me?" "Please never call me that again." Martin sighed wondering how long it will take until the two would finish their squabble.

Luckily for Martin that came in the form of Tango dragging Grian inside the closet and closing the door again. This time instead of Martin having to readjust his eyes Tango's hair lit up creating both a light and heat source. "Why are we here Tango?" Grian asked rubbing the back of his head with Pesky Bird still on his shoulder.

"Weeeellllll I thought it would be fun if we all bet on who's gonna die first!" Tango said, "absolutely not" Scott said at the same time as Pearl shouted, "don't have to tell me twice!" "Soooooo, how much are y'all betting?" Tango asked before the silence could get awkward, "what's the currency?" "Anything you want" "alright then" Pearl said tapping her chin in thought, "I bet my stuffed alligator that Scar will die first."

"I should say that the rules are you can't kill who you bet on otherwise it takes the whole fun out of it." "If you wish for me to place a bet on someone I shall" Mumbo said, "I bet my best butler award that Grian will die first, no offence" "none taken, anyway I bet my wings that Martin will be the one to die." "Hey! I'm now betting my own life that you're gonna die first now!" Martin protested, "ooh, he bet his life he bet his life" Tango said sounding fully in suspense.

"I'll bet two dollars that Jimmy might die first" Scott said without much preamble, "are you sure you wanna bet so small?" "Positive" "suit yourself anyway, bets on whose gonna survive?" "Can I bet on myself surviving?" Grian asked, "you sure can" Tango nodded, "ok then I bet my guide to hang gliding that I'll survive" Pearl let out a giggle, "I think I'm gonna bet my hunting rifle that my little cyan boy will survive" "I told you to not call me that" "like I give a damn" "can you both not argue?"