Chapter 27 - Crushed

When Vincent walked away, he took a piece of my heart with him

When Vincent walked away, he took a piece of my heart with him. I couldn't really seem to focus on anything except for the last words we exchanged. I wasn't sure how long I sat outside for when he initially left. April came out to find me and wondered why I hadn't come inside for the game. When I did go inside, I had to act like everything was okay even though I couldn't focus on the board game or what April was talking about.

When Summer came home from a night out with friends, she took over my spot and excused myself into my room. I laid numbly on my bed and thought back to every conversation I ever shared with Vincent. I wanted to follow him and be there at his side, but I also had this voice in the back of my head that I had to let him go and that's the only way he would return to me.

It was finally Saturday, the day of the prom dance and I had to mentally talk myself into getting dressed and going. Sam would be picking me up at my house and I had to remind myself that Darcy was doing it to make Vincent jealous, but Vincent still doesn't even know about it. I didn't even tell him before he left. Maybe that would've made him change his mind about staying there past the trials.

"Aren't you going to get ready for the dance?" My mom asks when she sees me still laying in bed. I check my phone next to me for the time. It was already one in the afternoon. Oh shit. If I don't get up now, Sam will find me still getting ready.

I sit up quickly. "I thought I had more time," I say with a groan. I throw the blankets off of me and sit on the bed for a second.

"What's wrong sweetheart?" My mom asks as she comes over and sits next to me.

"I just don't know how my relationship went downhill so fast," I say in a low voice.

"Did something happen with you and Vincent?"

"Thing is, I'm not so sure. They were fine, and then they weren't." I furrow my brows.

"So he's not going to the dance with you?" I shake my head.

"No, he's in Portland at his dad's court trial," I say, "he said he probably wouldn't be back in time for the dance so he wanted me to go without him."

"I mean if he's coming back, then why are you upset?"

"Because I don't know if he actually will. He didn't say how long he would be gone for, or when he'll be ready to come back."

"Was there something that happened between you for him to not want to come back so soon?" She looks at me with concern.

I shrug my shoulders. "I just think he's not exactly ready for us yet. He's trying to figure everything out and doesn't want to keep me waiting for him. He says I shouldn't have to wait for him if he's not ready and I am."

My mom sighs. She puts her hand on my back in a soothing way. "You know your father and I took a while to get along. We hated each other when we first met." I snort. It sounded familiar to Vincent and I's first encounter.