Chapter 6

Shelby stood up from her chair, gathering everyone's attention.

"Hello everyone!" She exclaimed, hating how cheery her voice sounded. She was commanding an army, not teaching a class of toddlers.

"I mean...hello everyone." She said, taking on a much more sombre manner.

Hermes peeked out from behind Joel, looking absolutely terrified.

No one spoke as Shelby looked around the dimly lit room in her brand new meeting bunker. Only her army; Lizzie, Joel, Sausage, Gem and Scott, knew where this top secret cage of obsidian was held. Oh, and Hermes of course.

She planned to keep it that way.

"I have gathered you here today purely because I heard that Joey was having a meeting and I don't like being left out."

She had tried to diffuse the tension, but only received a small, half hearted chuckle from a few members of the group.

She smiled, jumping up onto her chair. "Come on, people!!! I want ENERGY! ENTHUSIASM! WE WILL WIN!"

She began to jump up and down, clapping her hands.

No one joined in, not even Hermes.

He signed to Sausage; Has Shelby gone mad?!

Still, no one spoke.

She climbed down, suddenly embarrassed.

So much for enthusiasm, She thought.

"Why should we be enthusiastic, Shelby?! We're about to die, and here you are hanging off the furniture and acting like a lunatic! Get your act together, otherwise I'll go straight to Joey's team."

Shelby froze. Scott, of all people, had just said that.

One of her closest friends.

Just like that, years of companionship had crumbled to the ground.

Such a strange metaphor, considering it felt like a wall had risen between them.

The way he had said Shelby. Like she was just someone he knew. Just his army leader.

Get your act together!

Straight to Joey's team.

Acting like a lunatic.

Shelby glared at him, eyes rid of all their warmth.

"Fuck you, Scott Major." She said, much to Joel and Sausage's unhappiness. The Protector of Sanctuary pulled Hermes closer to him, covering his ears as Joel glared at her.

Shelby saw this and sent an apologetic glance their way, before turning back to Scott.

"Go on. Leave."

He stared back, eyes as cold as hers.

"Perhaps I will."

He stood.

"Nuh, uh, uh." Shelby tutted triumphantly, pulling a piece of paper from her pocket. He stared at it in disgust.

"Contract." She said, unfolding it. "You're stuck in this ship, matey."

Lizzie butted in. "You sound like Pirate Joe."

Shelby whipped her head round, eyes narrowing. "Not the time, kitty cat."

Lizzie looked affronted.

"Why does everyone think I'm a cat!!!" She exclaimed, trying to discreetly pull up her socks. The slightest bit of calico fur was showing around her ankles.

"Gee, I wonder." Joel muttered, his eyes trained on Scott, who looked like he wanted to use his contract to give himself a papercut.

Shelby sighed and turned back to Scott as well.

"I'd like to see you try and escape with this." She said, waving the contract in his face. "Fines of up to one thousand diamonds, prison for eight years-"

"Can we just let it go?!" Scott asked, still eyeing the paper with longing. Shelby could see how much he desired to throw it into flames, watch it blacken and crumble. 

He just wanted to be with Jimmy.

Shelby knew what that kind of heartbreak felt like.

She sighed, letting the matter drop.

"Anyway-"

Sausage put up his hand.

"I have an idea."

She turned to him. "Yes?"

"Maybe we should try to call off the war while we still can?" He said.

Shelby thought about it.

Why on earth would the pirate want to do that?

She continued to think, pacing up and down the obsidian box. It was a very nice looking obsidian box, decorated with many plants and animal heads. Not as sinister as it sounds.

She continued to pace. She thought of Lizzie and Joel and Sausage, and of course the little Hermes. What if one of their happy family members died? Would she be able to forgive herself?

She thought of Gem, who just wanted peace. Speaking of...

"Where's Gem?" She asked suddenly.

Everyone looked around the room, shaking their heads.

Shelby shrugged and continued to think.

Finally, she thought of Scott.

All he wanted was Jimmy.

Even though Scott was dead to her, Shelby knew that she had to keep everyone happy. It was in her nature, she couldn't have someone die on her watch.

She would not let anyone down, whatever it took. She would keep everyone happy, healthy, and most importantly; alive.

She turned to Sausage, determination written all over her face, eyes now filled with the fire that they usually contained.

"I'm listening."

Thx guys!

Y'all are amazing. Seriously, I love you all.

- Minnie <3