Deadly Screams

Chapter Eight... Deadly Screams

Sarah's POV

My biggest regret of the night was a selfish one.

I regretted coming to work.

I didn't have to work tonight at all. No checkout staff members had to work when the store was closed. But I had decided to get everything ready, knowing that the minute the doors to the store opened, we'd be slammed with waves of customers in a continuous fashion. And therefore, I wanted to be prepared. But now I regretted even being here in this building!

My life was at stake. All of our lives were.

"I wish I'd stayed home," I whispered.

"What?" Lisa asked, frowning.

"I wish I hadn't come to work tonight," I breathed. "I didn't have to. I chose to. And now I'm wishing I'd chosen not to."

"Selfish," Lisa snorted, rolling her eyes.

"Well, it would have happened if I wasn't here or not," I replied hastily. "And I'm just one more victim for him! So why would I be wishing I was here?!"

"I didn't even wanna work tonight!" Lisa hissed. "I was forced to. And I need the money, so I couldn't turn it down. My son is at home with my mom, and I feel guilty leaving him with her! If I die, she's all he'll have! So don't you tell me you wish you'd chosen against coming in here! That's on you! You chose to!"

"Stop it!" Brian whispered.

"No, B, I won't!" Lisa sneered. "We could all die. All of us! And she's sitting there saying this shit about that she shouldn't have come here tonight! So what?! We could all die, not just her!"

"Stop fighting her," Brian whispered calmly. "He's gonna find us."

"I don't give a shit!" Lisa shouted. "Why are you standing up for her? All because you're in love with her?! Jeez, Brian! This is crap!"

"What?" I gasped.

"Oh, please!" Lisa snorted. "Everybody knows! Just like everybody knows that Nathan's in love with Lily! This place blossoms with frigging romance! Guys get a crush on girls, and they obsess over them! It's like Grey's Anatomy! Everybody's screwing around with each other!"

"Just shut up, Lisa!" I screamed.

Lisa fell silent, and my eyes fell on Brian.

"Is... is she telling the truth?" I asked softly, grabbing his hand.

"Yeah," he answered simply. "I uh... I just didn't know if you felt the same."

"Well, uh... I do," I breathed.

"Oh, eww!" Lisa groaned. "Can't you kiss after we get the hell out of this death trap?!"

"No," Brian and I both said in unison, and our lips met.

Lisa looked away as Brian and I held each other closely. If we both died, or either of us died, we wouldn't get the chance to be together. After a few minutes of kissing, we parted.

"Oh, are you done?" Lisa sighed, crawling out from underneath the checkout.

"Wait, Lis!" Brian hissed. "Where are you going?"