Noises

Chapter Three... Noises

Lily's POV

What a perfect start to the night. The power had just gone out, and I hated the darkness. I did have a bit of a fear of the dark, partly due to those horror movies where the light comes back on just in time for the bimbo chick to get stabbed by some psycho.

I had called out to Nathan in a panicked voice, and he was nearby, as was Sarah. That made me feel a bit safer.

Then half of the lights came back on, but the store remained in complete silence.

"Jeez, I hate blackouts," Nathan groaned from nearby.

"Guys?" I heard Brian call from near the back door. "Is everyone alright?"

"Yeah!" I called back.

"We're all fine up here, B!" Sarah shouted.

"Lil?" Nathan asked in a whisper. "Does this mean we still have to work?"

"Yes," I replied to his stupid question.

"Damn..." he sighed.

I quickly hurried to finish my trolley before walking back out the back. It was annoying with only half of the lights on, and without the usual sound of the air conditioning and refrigeration. I walked onto the back dock to see Ella, Cameron and James huddled in a corner, whispering frantically.

"What are you guys doing?" I asked.

"I heard a noise..." Ella whispered.

"What sort of noise?" I asked.

"Like... someone walking on the roof," Ella gasped.

"Okay, yeah," I laughed. "I'm sure someone would be walking on the roof! It's after ten. Most people are sleeping. You need to relax, El."

"That's what we said," James muttered.

"Hey, did you guys hear something?" Vincent asked, coming into the room.

"See?" Ella hissed. "I'm not going insane!"

"What sort of sound was it?" I asked.

"Like a cat on the roof or something..." Vincent trailed off.

"Okay, you people are insane," James groaned. "I'm gonna go continue to cut these hams. Nobody's gonna do them for me, and Doug's gonna be pissed if there isn't enough for tomorrow."

"What morons don't buy hams until Christmas Eve?!" Sarah said loudly, walking onto the back dock.

"What morons can't do their shopping before Christmas Eve?" James laughed.

"Okay, guys!" Brian shouted, walking into the room. "Back to work."

"My prep room's pitch black," I frowned, glancing over at the door. The windows showed no signs of light at all...

"Okay, well the coolroom lights are still on," Brian said wearily. "If you can work in that light, that would be great. Hopefully the power won't be out for too long."

"Okay," I sighed, and walked into the dark room.

>>>>

Brian's POV

I had just sent Lily back into her prep room, though I wasn't sure that was the best idea. Especially when I heard a loud bang on the roof, and was pretty sure it was something bigger than an animal. Ella, who was standing next to me, had a look of fear on her face. I'd be lying if I wasn't afraid, too. But Ella had gripped my arm in terror, and her nails hurt.

I ultimately decided to gather all the team members together, and then we would go from there. I walked into the fresh produce prep room, and Lily was standing at the door.

"I heard something..." she gasped.

"So did we," I replied. "Come on, I'm gathering everyone up."

"Okay," she whispered, and I had Lily, Ella and Cameron with me.

Sarah joined us next, followed by Vincent and Nathan. Lisa was found in the darkened deli... but I couldn't find James.

Until he jumped out and scared us.

Lily and Ella grasped my arm in fright with a terrified scream. Lisa buried her face in Sarah's shoulder, and Sarah held her tightly.

"James, you idiot!" Brian shouted.

"Ease up, guys!" he chuckled.

"Okay, well there's something on the roof..." I began.

"Or someone," Lily sighed.

"So what we're gonna do is I want everyone to take a break," I continued. "Fifteen minutes of eating... drinking... but nobody sets foot outside, got it?"

"But I need a smoke!" Vincent groaned.

"No, okay?" I sighed. "If there's someone on the roof... you don't know what they're like. So I want everyone in the lunchroom. Now."

We walked to the lunchroom quietly, and sat in relative silence. Everyone seemed on edge, and I couldn't blame them. I was worried; never had I heard noises on the roof like that. Even hail didn't make that much noise...

After about twenty minutes, the sounds on the roof were gone completely. I sent everyone back to work immediately...

But nothing would prepare me for what happened next.

>>>>

James' POV

I annoyingly walked back to work, sighing as I entered the meat room. There were several hams that needed wrapping, and I wasn't in the mood. I slumped through the door, donned my apron and hat and started wrapping.

A movement in the corner caught my eye. I looked over to where I saw the movement, and noticed a tall, angry-looking white man wielding a large knife glaring at me.

"Who the hell are you?" I asked, confused.

"I came here for money," the man spoke. "But I have something better in mind..."

Before I could answer, the man ran toward me and thrust the large knife into my stomach. The pain was indescribable, and I could feel the blood pouring from the wound. I yelped in pain, falling to the ground before he stabbed me again.

I laid there, watching him walk away as I felt my body get weaker and weaker.

And everything went black.