VIII: Ghuleh

"You ready?"
"Just gotta put my shoes on" I said, walking to my shoes I kept by the door. "Let's go, papa"
He linked my arm with his as we walked. "This will be your first time in the basement, no?"
I nodded.
"This will be fun."
"I know you already told me they're friendly, but other than that, what are they like?"
"I never used the word friendly. Some of the younger ghouls are quite standoffish."
"What are yours like?"
"Like my band?"
"Yeah."
"Well, there's Alpha...he was on his last strike with the clergy before being kicked out. Somehow the music tamed a little bit of that fire."
He laughed "He's a fire ghoul...omega is incredibly sweet and very talented. My right hand man."
"What do they play?"
"Guitar."
"Both of them?"
"Of course. Lead and rhythm."
I nodded, still not sure why two guitarists were needed.
"Our drummer is earth. He tries to stay away from clergy business for personal reasons. Air is very dedicated to his craft. He gets really into the zone, though, so sometimes he can be a bit intimidating without even realizing it. And water is just a big sweetheart."
"What do air and water play?"
"Oh, keyboard and bass, respectively."
"So...air looks intense...while playing the keyboard?"
"Of course"
"But it's a keyboard"
"If he hears you speak negatively of his instrument I can no longer guarantee your safety."
I chuckled. He just stopped and looked at me with a deadpan expression.
"I was not kidding."
"Oh"
"And I know it sounds a bit...cliche, but" primo opened the door to the basement. "Ghouls can smell fear."

My feet connected with the stone floor of the basement, the cool air sending a shiver through my body. I looked over to primo cautiously, who seemed to be entirely unaware; or at least unaffected by the temperature change. I tried to ignore it in order to keep pace with him, but with each step, I couldn't help but notice how the feeling in the hallway seemed to shift. Flooring and walls similarly elegant to that upstairs morphed into something much darker as we ventured further, but papa didn't acknowledge this, either. Patches of darkness became more of a constant, cracks in the stone more common, chains...
Those definitely weren't anywhere else

I began to notice large doors with even larger scratches; as if something was fighting to get out...or rather, stay out...
My breath quickened
I knew I was lagging behind primo, but I couldn't help it
Suddenly there was a slam from the other side of a door next to me forcing a yelp from my throat.
Jumping backwards, I hit the wall, covering my eyes in fear so I would not be forced to face my own demise at the hands of a rogue ghoul head on.
When something grasped my shoulder I whimpered, burying my still covered face into my shoulder. The figure grabbed my hands, gently pulling them from my face.
"Fiore?"
Slowly opening my eyes I looked to the figure, the source of the voice; it was primo.
"Are you alright?"
"The-the door"
"Ahh, you were scared by the banging..."
I nodded.
"Well I promise you, he is...not representative of ghouls as a whole." Papa turned to look at the door behind him, which I now realized held a gold nameplate. "He is actually oddly harsh for a water ghoul. But he is still young...still learning...and I promise: he is not a threat to you or anyone else for that matter."
I nodded."It seems like he's calmed down..."
"Yes, yes. His rage is always very quick."
We stood in silence for a moment, then Papa began walking once again, but I couldn't get myself to follow. I simply stood, staring at the door.
"Primo?"
"Si?"
"Could I..." I hesitated "Would it be possible for me to go in there? Meet him?"
He hesitated "Y/N, are you s-"
"Yes, I'm sure."
Primo looked to me cautiously, before putting an arm around my shoulder. He knocked on the door, carefully awaiting the ghouls response.
"The fuck is it?" a voice demanded harshly
"Papa" Primo spat. "And a friend...may we enter?"
"Sure whatever"
"Thank you, droplet." He said, smiling as he opened the door.
"Now you can fuck off."
"Dew..." he sighed as I entered behind him.

On the floor in front of the bed, I saw a small boy sitting with his knees tucked up to his chin. His long blonde hair lay against his shoulders, as he seemed to pout about something.
I approached him, "Don't get close" Primo warned as I carefully placed myself near the ghoul. I wasn't next to him per se, but I was intentionally within reach. There was something about him that reminded me of a stray kitten; frightened and just trying to protect itself, but there was an eerily human element. I knew that unlike a cat, he could understand me, and he certainly isn't kitten-sized.

"Hey there, how're you doing?"
"Who are you?"
"I'm Y/N, the Prime Mover"
He gestured to primo with his head "He not like you or somethin'?" The ghoul looked to the papa, clearly speaking to him rather than me "Trying to use me to scare her off?"
I laughed before primo could respond, clearly surprising the young ghoul. Since his attention was on me, I answered. "It was actually my choice to come in here."
"Oh, you're one of THOSE types"
"What types?"
"Those women that just because you have some status you can fix anyone...fix me. Well you can fuck right off with your boy toy, mama."
"Not to continue the trail of questions but mama?"
He looked again at primo "you picked a stupid one, huh?"
"Woah woah woah, Primo didn't pick me."
The ghoul laughed "so papa couldn't get bitches to the point they set him up? Even I get action...what's wrong with you?"
"Dewdrop, what are you on about?" Primo demanded
"The prime movers supposed to be your wife...isn't she?"
"No...she's supposed to carry the antichrist"
"So...fuckbuddies?"
"No! No, it's like Mary..."
"So head?"
"Unholy intervention! Satanas, what is wrong with you? Haven't you been doing the assigned reading?"
"Of course not"
"Fair. That was a stupid question."
Dew turned to me "So you're gonna get pregnant with someone else's child."
I nodded, uncomfortable. Primo, noticing, gently placed a hand on my shoulder. "How about you start making your way down the hall and I'll join you in a moment?"
I looked up at him and nodded before heading out of the room, leaving him looming above the ghoul.