Part 2: The Bad News

As Scott checks out the room, he sees that it isn't painted pink or anything, but there are dried flowers and other subtle feminine touches. He thinks to himself that it's not too bad. There's a huge closet which he notices is empty with the exception of the school's uniform, a white button-up shirt, a red knit sweater with the school's insignia stitched on the chest, and a dark red and green tartan skirt, with stockings and Mary Jane heels.

 There's a huge closet which he notices is empty with the exception of the school's uniform, a white button-up shirt, a red knit sweater with the school's insignia stitched on the chest, and a dark red and green tartan skirt, with stockings and Ma...

Scott thought to himself, "What a mix up." He unpacked his bags and went on to explore the rest of the house. It was a nice-sized home with a small yard with a couple of fruit trees. After spending the afternoon settling in, he was called for dinner with the Evans.

While they ate, the Evans told him how excited they were to have him and were telling him about some of the exciting things they had planned for this week before he had to start school. They planned to spend a few days in the Peak District and then visit London for the rest of the week.

Scott made a joke about how he had already seen London as he is from London, Ontario. Mrs. Evans then broke the news about how she spoke with the school and how they said it is alright for him to attend for the six months that he is supposed to, although the one exception is that he must obey all the school's rules, including the dress code.

Scott felt a sinking feeling in his stomach, but he figured he'd ask for clarification and asked, "Is there a different dress code for boys?"

The Evans exchanged a look, and Mrs. Evans let out a small laugh. "Don't be silly, Scott. Of course there isn't a boy's uniform at an all girls school. You'll have to make do with the uniform in your closet. It's only for a few months. Just think of it as a kilt like the Scots wear."

Scott felt sick to his stomach at the thought of wearing a skirt to school. He had never been the most masculine of boys, but he didn't consider himself particularly feminine either. The idea of wearing a skirt made him feel exposed and vulnerable.

After dinner, Scott retreated to his room. He lay on the bed, staring up at the ceiling, his mind racing. How was he going to survive six months in an all girls school? He had never been particularly popular with girls, and now he was going to be the only boy in a sea of them.

The thought of the uniform made him feel even worse. He couldn't imagine himself wearing a skirt, let alone to school. He had always been comfortable in jeans and t-shirts, not stockings and Mary Jane heels.

Scott lay there for what felt like hours, his mind racing with worry and anxiety. Eventually, exhaustion took over, and he fell asleep, but his sleep was restless, filled with dreams of being laughed at and humiliated in front of his classmates.

The next morning, Scott woke up to find the sun shining through his window. He got dressed and went downstairs to find the Evans making breakfast.

"Morning, Scott," Mr. Evans said, his booming voice filling the kitchen. "We're heading out to the Peak District today. Have you got your walking boots?"

Scott shook his head, feeling a little disorientated from lack of sleep. "No, I don't have any."

"That's alright," Mrs. Evans said, smiling. "We'll stop by the shops and get you a pair on the way. It's going to be a beautiful day for a walk."