4. Blood Stone

MATEO

"Alpha, the financial reports from last month are ready for your review." Beta Donovan places a pile of papers into the in-tray on my desk. I bite back a heavy sigh and nod silently returning to the spreadsheet on my laptop.

"I'll look at them later today," I dismiss him as I try and work out how I'm going to budget for the security upgrade we desperately need, the new gym equipment Torro wants and the new maternity wing Dr. Santos is begging me for. It's not even eight in the morning and already I want to throw my laptop across the room.

Instead, I look up at Donovan who is still standing in the room looking at me with his dark eyes.

"Was there something else?" I ask tiredly.

"You're going to burn out if you don't give yourself a break. I know you slept in here again if you slept at all."

I glance around my office to the neatly folded sofa bed I had moved in over a year ago after too many nights falling asleep at my desk.

"I slept," Is my only response as I turn back to the spreadsheet, feeling a surge of annoyance as Donovan shifts on his feet but makes no move to leave me the fuck alone so I can finish this budget.

"Donovan do you have anything to say that does not relate to my sleeping, eating, or shitting habits? I'm seriously not interested in your lectures this morning. You're my Beta not my fucking mother."

I see his eyes widen at the power in my tone and he bows his head showing his neck. I catch the faint smile on his face before it disappears.

"Apologies Alpha. There is nothing else but to confirm the arrangements for the Mating Festival are in place. We have twenty-two unmated wolves running this festival, ten of whom are males so we can expect a fairly even number returning if all goes well and everyone finds their mates.

"Okay that's fine, so we won't need to consider extra accommodation this year. If that's all I'll see you at breakfast." I dismiss him again and this time when he does not move I growl my annoyance slamming the desk with my palm.

Donovan doesn't flinch although his neck twists to the side in unavoidable submission to my Alpha power.

"I swear to the Goddess Donovan if you don't get the fuck out of here I will stand you down, what the fuck is it?"

I glare at the older wolf. At twenty-nine he is eight years older than me, originally my brother Sebastian's Beta, but now mine. Almost three years ago Sebastian up and decided to leave Blood Stone to be Co-Alpha with his mate Neo at Crystal Moon. He dropped the Alpha position on my shoulders like lead bricks. I'm still pissed about this, but life moves on I guess.

Beta Donovan and Gamma Torro have been instrumental in my transition training, but the training is long over. I passed my Alpha assessment a year ago and will ascend formally as Alpha after the Council meeting that will be held during the Mating Festival in three days. I'm beyond tired of Donovan and Torro's constant oversight.

For a year now I've pretty much been running the pack as Alpha on my own. I fucking hate this job but like everything else in my life these days I just take the hits as they come.

Donovan looks up.

"I just wanted to say I'm proud of you Alpha Mateo. The pack is doing well, you have everything under control and I look forward to your accession when we get back from the Festival."

I look at him surprised, as he smiles again. Donovan has never been easy with his praise. Far from it. Constantly criticizing my actions and decisions until he had nothing left to critique except my lack of self-care. He looks at me now apologetically.