27. Choice

ASTRID

Last night Mateo told me about his plans to travel through the Northern packs while I was in Norway. His eyes lit up with so much excitement and passion when he spoke about the northern lights, the wilderness and old cultures of the Northern packs, I don’t think I’d seen him so excited before. He looked…youthful.

He never got a chance to experience his traveling dream because Sebastian made him Alpha even before he could pack his bags.

Right now, for the first time I understand the sacrifice Mateo made as I watch my own dreams vanish before my eyes.

Around me roars of protest arise from my father, Aunt Neo, Sebastian and Mateo. Their words of disapproval targeted at Beta Cole hum in my ears as I stare at Bjorn.

His icy blue eyes gleam at me triumphantly. My blood chills and I feel weak at the very idea of being with him. Mateo is my mate and all I want in this world.

Tears pool in my eyes and I look away from Bjorn blinking rapidly.

“I accept.” I say choking through the emotions gripping my throat.

Beta Cole looks at me ignoring my family screaming at him.

“What did you say Luna Astrid?”

Mateo looks down at me from his standing position. His body bristles with rage which turns to shock as he looks at me.

“Astrid?” He questions as I stand keeping my eyes focused on Beta Cole. If I look at Mateo or any of my family I will crumble. I draw on Runa. She urges me forward, encouraging me to make the only choice I have. There is no other.

“Beta Cole, I said I accept the King’s decision. I will complete the bond with my mate.”

I dare not look at my Aunt Neo. I feel her disapproval intensely. Of all my family she has been the one to encourage me the most to pursue my dreams.

Astrid don’t do this. You will not be forced into the bond it’s not right. Mateo links me.

I reach to him and take his hand, still unable to meet his eyes as the tears I’ve been trying to hold back overflow and fall.

“Alpha Mateo you and your mate have much to discuss before sunset today. You and Luna Astrid will meet Alpha Bjorn and this Council at Sunset on the field. At that time Luna Astrid should have been fully mated and marked or the challenge will proceed. You both have a decision to make.” Beta Cole raises his hand to silence any further protest from the council.

Mateo grips my hand tightly glaring at Bjorn as we leave passing his table.

“I’ll see you at sunset.” Bjorn smirk at me with a small wave of his fingers.

Mateo moves so fast he is a blur. Before I can blink the sickening sound of claws meeting flesh echo through the chamber and Bjorn roars in pain and shock snatching his hand back just as I watch in slow motion as blood spurts from his hand. Wet droplets land on my face as I stand frozen watching a half shifted Mateo be held back by Sebastian and Donovan who have appeared out of nowhere. I’m knocked sideways and stagger as they drag a seething, snarling, half shifted Mateo out the chamber while Alpha Trent and Beta Cole hold back a roaring Bjorn who clutches his bleeding hand to his chest.

My eyes look to the floor and bile chokes me as I see two bloody fingers lying there.

My stomach heaves and I hurl, not hearing the soothing words in my ears or feeling the strong but gentle arms around me rubbing my back.

My stomach empty, my pride abandoned on the council floor I’m led away to a side chamber surrounded by my mother and my aunts.

A door closes. I’m pushed into a seat and a glass of water is placed in my hands. Robotically I drink frowning at the taste of vomit tinged water but drinking nonetheless.