Chapter 2: Fighting

We drive to our next stop: Evangeline's house.  Evangeline is as beautiful as her name suggests.  I'm usually not the jealous type, but everyone feels a ping of jealousy when they're around Evangeline. 

Nicolette honks the car horn.  "Eva! Come on! We're almost late." 

The door to Evangeline's house slowly opens, and out she steps.  She's gorgeous, as always.  Her extremely light auburn hair flows down to her shoulders, and her crystal blue eyes shine like diamonds.  She's wearing white jeans and a dark teal peasant blouse.  A long chain runs to the middle of her shirt.  It's a necklace, and the charm looks like a heart. 

She sees me looking at it and says, "It's from Fabian." She flips it open.  It's a locket, and inside is a picture of her and Fabian holding hands.  Fabian is Evangeline's mate.  I don't know how or where they met, but they're almost inseperable.  Evangeline wouldn't have a problem getting any guy she wanted, and every guy to ask her out was turned down.

But when she met Fabian, she knew that they were mates.  Fabian felt it too, because they're together everytime I see them.  Well, besides our little drive to school.  The only guy in the car for our carpools is Mathais.  This is Nicolette's car.  Evangeline sits down between Violetta and I, and Nicolette begins driving. 

"So," Nicolette says.  "Anyone excited for the first day back to high school?" I giggle.  We've been going to high school for almost twenty years now.  Since we don't age, we start as "freshmen" then work our way up.  After we graduate, we start over again.  If someone recognizes us, we tell them we're a relative of the person they thought we were.  If that doesn't work...we erase their mind temporarily.

"I'm not."  Violetta grumbles.  "I still don't have a boyfriend.  I've been going to high school for twenty years and I still don't have a freaking boyfriend."  She punches the seat Mathias is in, and he flies forward, hitting the dash.  Nicolette's eyes widen.  "Violetta!"

"Oops," Violetta says, giving a fake smile.  "My bad." Mathias turns around to glare at Violetta, but Violetta just grins at him and waves her hand. 

Nicolette stops the car, turns around and hisses at Violetta.  "You stay away from him," she growls.  "He's mine.

Violetta's smile turns into a scowl and she hisses back at Nicolette," He used to be mine, until you stole him! You're a big, fat--"

"Stop it!" I yell.  I was sick of their fighting.  They both were such good friends until Mathias became Nicolette's mate. 

They both turn to look at me, and Nicolette grumbles, "Dirty, jealous, boyfriend-stealer."

Violetta's eyes narrow.  "Who are you calling boyfriend-stealer?"

"Stop." I say through my teeth.  They both relaxed and amazingly, we all get to school in one piece. 

Once we get to school, we find our usual table near the window.  I sit in the middle of Violetta and Mathias.  Nicolette is on the other side of Mathias and Evangeline is on the other side of Violetta.  Scared looking freshmen pass by us.  I smile at one shy-looking girl, but instead of smiling back, her eyes widen and she walks away faster.  Confused, I let my eyes follow to where she was going, and once I see the table she sat at, I know why she had acted the way she did.  She sat with other seniors, but they weren't jocks, drama queens, or nerds.  They weren't goth, or vampires.  They were werewolves.  It's a common myth that vampires and werewolves are enemies, but they're not.  I mean, we're not best friends but we can stand being in the same room without killing them.  Young werewolves still didn't know that, and thought we were to be feared.  I figured that the girl was a new werewolf, considering her reaction to my smile.  Maybe she saw my fangs? Whatever.