The Ambitious Brother

Lord Thomas Howard is the eldest son and heir to Lord Thomas Howard 2nd Duke of Norfolk who is the son of Lord John Howard, 1st Duke of Norfolk who got the title through his dear mother, Lady Margaret Mowbray who was the second daughter of Lord Thomas Mowbray, 1st Duke of Norfolk through his grandmother, Lady Margaret of Brotherton who was the granddaughter of King Edward I of England and his second wife, Princess Margaret of France who has a son, Lord Thomas of Brotherton.

You see it takes a daughter to provide their father a heir to secure their Dukedom, and when Lady Margaret older sister failed to have a son, it reverted back to her and her son, Lord John Howard, whose father was Sir Robert Howard who father was Sir John Howard III and he was the son of Sir Robert Howard who was the son of Lord John Howard II and who was the son of Sir John Howard who married the great-granddaughter of King John of England and his son, Prince Richard of Cornwall and his son, Lord Richard of Cornwall.

Lord Thomas Howard became Earl of Surrey when his father, Lord Thomas Howard became Duke of Norfolk on February 1, 1514 by King Henry the VIII of England.

Lord Thomas Howard is there when his oldest sister, Lady Elizabeth married Sir Thomas Boleyn in 1499 and she is fifteen years old and he is 24 years old and he was Earl of Surrey.

Lord Thomas Howard, Earl of Survey first wife, Princess Anne of York was the younger sister of King Henry VII's Queen, Elizabeth of York who was the mother of King Henry VIII of England and his first wife, Princess Anne dies in 1511 and in 1514, he remarries Lady Elizabeth Stafford who is the daughter of Lord Edward Stafford, Duke of Buckingham and Lady Eleanor Percy and he is the son of Lady Catherine Woodville and nephew of Queen Elizabeth Woodville and first cousin to Queen Elizabeth of York and he is first cousin once removed to King Henry The VIII of England through their grandmother, Queen Elizabeth Woodville and her sister, Lady Catherine Woodville.

It is not a happy marriage but it Lady Anne still gives the ambitious Lord Thomas Howard, who was 35 years old and she was only fifteen years old and together they had Lord Howard, Earl of Surrey, (1516/7-1547), who married Frances de Vere, daughter of John de Vere, 15th Earl of Oxford, by whom he had two sons and three daughters, Thomas Howard, 4th Duke of Norfolk; Henry Howard, 1st Earl of Northampton; Katherine Howard, who married Henry Berkeley, 7th Baron Berkeley; Margaret Howard, who married Henry Scrope, 9th Baron Scrope of Bolton; and Jane Howard, who married Charles Neville, 6th Earl of Westmorland. In 1548, after Surrey's execution, his children were placed in the care of their aunt, Mary Howard who appointed the martyrologist, John Foxe, as their tutor.

Lady Mary Howard (1519–1557), who married, on 28 November 1533, King Henry VIII's illegitimate son, Henry FitzRoy (1519–1536), by whom she had no issue.

Thomas Howard, 1st Viscount Howard of Bindon (1520–1582), who married firstly Elizabeth Marney, secondly Gertrude Lyte, thirdly Mabel Burton, and fourthly Margaret Manning.

Lady Muriel Howard (died young).

Lady Katherine Howard, who by 9 December 1529 married, as his first wife, Edward Stanley, 3rd Earl of Derby (1509–1572), and died 15 March 1530. Derby later married, as his second wife, Katherine's aunt, Dorothy Howard.

Lady Elizabeth Stafford (later Duchess of Norfolk) (c.1497 – 30 November 1558) was an English aristocrat. She was the eldest daughter of Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham and Lady Eleanor Percy. By marriage she became Duchess of Norfolk. Her abusive marriage to Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk, created a public scandal.

Lady Elizabeth Stafford, born about 1497, was the eldest daughter of Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham, and Eleanor Percy (d. 1530). Her paternal grandmother, Lady Catherine Woodville was sister of Queen Elizabeth Woodville and hence sister-in-law of King Edward IV of England. Her paternal grandfather, Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke of Buckingham, was executed for treason in 1483 by King Richard III, and in 1521 her own father suffered the same fate when he was beheaded on Tower Hill for treason against King Henry VIII.