Bunny & Mousey.

Baby, I think tonight, we can take what was wrong and make it right.
Baby, it's all I know that you're half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole.
So take, these Broken Wings, and learn to fly again, learn to live so free.
When we hear, the voices sing. The book of love will open up and let us in.
Mister Mister.

Meaty tires lightly chirped as I left the club's parking lot. "Bunny, come sit next to me."

She looked at me in bewilderment, then slid across the wide bench seat to ride with my arm around her. "Is this what all your girlfriends do?"

I winked at her. "What girlfriends? Bunny, you and I have been going steady since the semester started!"

She dreamily kissed my neck. "Thank you, Mousey. I... forgot."

Bunny can still be pretty when she's really happy...

The moment of bright eyes and a wide smile quickly passed, then she blushed and saddened. "Can we... stop on the way?"

I had anticipated the detour. A small part of me felt wrong about helping Bunny drink more, but experience had taught me that it almost never mattered. Meanwhile, I had an opportunity to improve both our lives in a different way, if only for a short time. I didn't blame our chance meeting on fate, but I doubted anyone else could provide what we both desired. A second chance at romance, from a better time.

I pulled into the liquor store parking lot. "Of course, Bunny. I'll always drink with you."

*****************

"Mousey, this is my building. Park in the space next to my Datsun."

I laughed, "It's going to be a tight fit, so get out now."

"Wait. Kiss me again."

She thinks I'm going to take off...

Five minutes later, another car pulled up behind us, so I eased into the narrow space, then we both squeezed out through the small opening on the driver's side.

Bunny pointed the way to her second floor apartment. "Mousey, at the cast party, would you have kissed me like that if I hadn't run off?"

"Yes, and... more. My God, Bunny. I was really looking forward to it."

Bunny eagerly led me up the stairs, then faced me at her door. "Mousey, I'm so sorry I left you at the party. I hoped we would be each other's first kiss, and when you made out with Ellen, it hurt me. Then, you seemed more interested in that strange anorexic girl."

Jackie! What a great time I had with her...

"Bunny, I wish I hadn't been such a jerk. I never meant to hurt you, I'm just weird, you know?

She tickled my side. "Yes, you certainly are. But you're also the sweetest boy I've ever met. Come inside."

**************

No further words were spoken. After closing her low-rent apartment door behind me, I opened the vodka bottle, while she rinsed two glasses from a clogged sink. I removed my clothes, then ever so gently, lifted the unruly mass of hair from her neck so I could unzip the dress. She poured our drinks, while I slowly pulled the dark fabric from her trembling shoulders, kissing each inch of milky white skin as it became available to my lips. Her slow, soft moans let me know she was in no hurry, so I paused to drain my cup, then signaled for a refill. 

Once I had removed her practical bra and panties, I hoisted Bunny onto the small area of Formica countertop that was free of dirty dishes. We slowly drank the bottle, while thoroughly exploring each other's nude bodies with fingers, lips, and tongues.

Bunny poured the remaining few drops of vodka onto her chest, then gently pushed my head down. I lapped up the potent liquor, lifted her pliant body, then carried her into the bedroom.

**************

In the early morning, I untangled myself from Bunny, then dressed without further incident. I had no plans to see her again, but just in case, I checked the hand written number card on the handset of her cracked, heavy plastic phone. The lack of a dial tone told it's own story.

She probably uses a payphone on the corner...

Finding a pen, I scrawled my name and number on a piece of a grocery bag. I placed it on top of her purse, then reconsidered.

I can't have Bunny in my life, not now, and not like this. She's way beyond anything I could do for her except more sex, and that doesn't seem right. I'll drive by in a couple of days, and if her car isn't here, I'll know she's alright. Well, not alright, but not... gone. Gone from me, and this world...

Three iridium-coated clock hands on her ticking clock lined up at 4:44. I switched on the alarm, already set for eight am, then stood over my past friend, present lover, and future memory.

Things can change...

We had separated once, then briefly reunited. Perhaps it could happen again, with both of us in better places. The thought nagged me as something familiar, and the ending to Electric Dreams came to mind. I had loved the theme of friendship, feelings, and memories existing as electrons floating in the ether of interconnected computers. 

Perhaps someday, my bond with Bunny could live on that way forever, touching others, even if both of us forgot about it or perished.

I laid my face to hers, and sang, "We'll always be together, no matter how far it seems. We'll always be together, together in electric dreams..."

The emerging dimple silently broadcast Bunny's dream of love to me. I had brought a bit of joy to my special friend's tragic life, but she had given me an even more valuable gift. A second chance to be us.

I can't tell anyone. They wouldn't understand...

Satisfied that my time with Bunny had been so fulfilling, I quietly opened the front door. A minute spent watching her revealed nothing new, so I slipped out and closed it, keeping my ear to the peeling brown paint. Just before the latch clicked, her sleep-talking tickled through the thin wood. "Mousey."

I whispered back, "Bunny."

Thanks for reading, don't forget to vote and comment!