Epilogue.

My hands are tied, my body bruised. She got me with, nothing to win, and nothing left to lose.
I can't live, With Or Without You.
U2.

One week later...

She leaned over the pool edge to kiss me goodbye. "Mmm, Ray. I love you so much. I'm a little sore, but I'll come by tomorrow after work. Bye, Peter. Thanks for taking care of him!"

Peter waved from the deep end. "It's good to have you back, Erica. Your boy was such a pathetic wreck!"

We intently watched my outrageously sexy blonde girlfriend leave the apartment building. Many things about Erica didn't fit Peter's preferences, so his gaze didn't concern me. In any event, men leering at Erica was a regular event, just like the rising sun.

I grabbed a beer from the poolside styrofoam ice chest, then climbed onto my pink inflatable raft. Erica's unexpected visit had included several hours of make-up sex, and left me drained. Peter had arrived just as Erica and I began our customary post-coital swim, and he had been delighted to not hear my moping.

He cleared his throat. "Ray, what's the deal with Erica?"

"Peter, she knocked on my door this morning. We apologized, then she took off her clothes, and, well... you know. Just before you got here, we talked. We're not engaged anymore, so that pressure is off, but we are a couple again."

"So, you're off the market?"

Before I could answer, "Yes," Peter sank to the bottom of the pool. He had been in the navy after high school, and had training in holding his breath. I closed my eyes, while waiting for him to surface.

My God, Erica sure loves to fuck. What an amazing girl...

The wonderful sound of a beer can opening stirred me from my lustful thoughts. Peter handed me the fresh Budweiser, then asked. "Ray, who was that drunk chick from the club? She was all over you like a cheap suit. I don't even think I've seen you that plastered!"

Looking around to make sure Erica had not returned, I explained, "Bunny was my friend in high school. When we were sixteen, she was going to be my first kiss, my first girlfriend, my first... everything. But, of course, I blew it."

Peter splashed me. "Oh, what a surprise! Let me guess, you got all scared and ran away with your tail between your legs."

He imitated Beaker.

I splashed him back. "Amazing. It's like you were there! Yeah that's pretty much how it happened. But last week, we made things right. Well, maybe not right, but... complete."

Peter understood me, probably better than I understood myself. "That's really cool. One night to live out what might have been. Are you going to see her again?"

I wagged my finger. "No. And don't say anything to Erica. We were broken up when it happened, but..."

He held up his hands. "Of course. She would see it as cheating, for sure.
On account of, she's a... teenager!"

I shrugged and laughed at the same time. Despite the light hearted teasing, Peter never judged me on romantic matters, the way I inexplicably scolded him on his indiscretions.

"Alright, Ray. I'm pruning up, so I better take off now. Later for you... Mousey!"

***************

2011.
Twenty five years later...

"Ray, Honey? Can I delete this email from your thirtieth high school reunion? Are you going to it?"

"Wait, Olivia. I'm not going, but let me look at it first."

Scanning the list of confirmed attendees brought a few surprises, but only five classmates made me briefly reconsider my decision.

Nahhh, it'll just be a brag-fest. Fuck that...

I scrolled down the page, and discovered a list entitled, The Fallen. Recognizing a single name, my heart sank.

Kari Bentley: 1962-2007.

I waited until my wife Olivia left for work, then rummaged around the kitchen. An ancient bottle of vodka had a healthy layer of dust, but would do. Sentimental behavior was rare and short-lived with me, but I wanted to pay my respects to Bunny in a small way.

Stepping onto my brick patio, I unscrewed the top of the bottle. One healthy swallow, a couple of splashes on the ground, and a tearful, "Goodbye, Bunny," completed the simple ritual.

I should tell someone all about her, someday...

The End.

A/N. I first heard With Or Without You, while lounging in bed with Erica that day. Someone at the pool had it playing on their radio, and it became forever linked with a beautiful memory.

Erica is in Unstoppable Erica and Mundane Proposal.

Olivia is in Mundane Proposal.

Thanks for reading, don't forget to vote and comment!