Chapter 17. Jessica.

'I got so much to talk about,' said Emily into her iPhone. She was in the process of leaving a message on Jessica's mobile while she also checked in at the hotel. 'Are you actually here already?' She put away her phone to sign the registration form. She looked around at the low-beamed ceiling of thick oak and white plaster, reflecting the age of the building, constructed five hundred years ago.

At that moment Jessica bounced in to reception. They hugged. 'I arrived about half an hour ago,' said Jessica. 'Train to York and taxi over here. You still okay to drive us back to London tomorrow?'

'Yeah, of course, as arranged.' She knew Jess had come down from a men's fashion campaign in Scotland by train and they planned to travel back to London together in Emily's car on the Saturday morning.

Jessica helped with Emily's bag. 'Let's get you unpacked and we can chat.' She lead the way up the stairs to the first floor and along to the double room booked for them both.

'Have any of the others arrived?' Emily mentally counted the number of people she knew who were coming to the party. It was Julia's hen night, one week prior to getting married. 'We know of five others from London, all staying here at the Black Swan.'

'The Mucky Duck. All the locals call this hotel The Mucky Duck.'

Emily moved about the room unpacking her suitcase. 'The floorboards creak. Imagine at night ... creepy.'

Jessica took the slim, black dress out of Emily's case 'That's a lovely dress, Em. I bet you look ravishing in it.'

'Scott bought it for me. We went shopping and he insisted.'

Jessica sat down on the twin bed. 'What's the news? Start with Scott.'

Emily raised her eyebrows. 'I think he may be the one.'

'Well, it's about time. I'm so glad you walked away from Nick.'

Emily recounted the latest about Nick appearing at the art gallery. 'It's so weird. He turns up and buys this horrible picture.'

'So now you've fallen for Scott, big time. And you told me the other day he's good in bed, so you can tick that box. But is he caring? Does he think of you all the time?'

Emily giggled. 'He's too busy to message me all the time. I don't want that anyway. I want a man who listens to me, understands me.'

'I've yet to meet a guy who cares enough to think of me before himself.'

They talked about Jessica's boyfriends whom she described as all being emotionally self centred.

Text messages came in to say other girl friends had arrived at the hotel. Emily spent the next hour with Jessica getting ready for the party, a five course dinner in a private room of the hotel, food and drink served by two men who were going to be virtually naked.

By one o'clock in the morning Emily and Jessica staggered back, arm in arm, to their room. They talked in low voices as they got ready for bed. 'I've had so much to eat and drink I think I'm going to pass out.' Emily focused on putting cream on her face. 'Jock was big, wasn't he?'

Jess interrupted brushing her teeth. 'I couldn't believe those two only wore flaps over their groins.' She spat into the basin and started to laugh which gave Emily the giggles.

Emily jumped in to her twin bed first and watched Jessica climb into the other bed with only her knickers on.

'Is that all you wear?'

'I find PJs ruck up, like a wedgey.'

'Where did wedgey come from?'

'Mum's way of saying a twisted gusset.'

'That's funny.'

How does Scott react to your PJs?' Her voice registered mischief.

Emily couldn't help laughing. 'I know exactly what he'd do. He would scold me for being a naughty girl for putting them on in the first place. And then spank me.'

In spite of turning the light out they carried on talking. It became clear to Emily her best friend wasn't really happy with her love life. There weren't any permanent guys and none on the horizon. She felt sorry she hadn't found a man like Scott, a man who would cherish her and care for her. Which was why it wasn't a problem for Emily when Jessica slipped out of her bed and into Emily's. There seemed to be an unwritten understanding nothing would happen, other than a cuddle. Emily eventually turned over and Jessica spooned her. Nor did Emily mind the top of her PJs being slipped over her head, followed by Jessica wrapping her arms around her. The warmth induced sleep. Nipples pressed into her back. Sleep overtook her.

She woke in the morning to find their positions changed, she now spooned Jessica. They talked some more about their friends at last night's party. They washed and dressed together, both wore jeans, and shirts. Jess asked if she could try on Emily's check shirt. They swapped and each wore the other's top. Emily knew she'd got the better deal, the patch work Paul Smith designer men's shirt, which Jess somehow acquired from her recent shoot, looked ravishing on Emily. Their haircuts by Hari, identically cut, gave them a sisterly look as they examined each other, side-by-side, in the bathroom mirror. Emily turned to look at her friend, and Jess also turned, yet it was Emily who leaned over, kissed her on the lips, which surprised her, as she did her best to hold down any sexual feelings for Jess.

Jessica smiled. 'Thanks. It was lovely sleeping with you.'

They went down stairs to join the others for breakfast.