An Important Mission

It was a remarkably beautiful day in the village hidden in the leaves. The sun was shining, and the people were content.

Some things never changed in this village, one of which was the strict and rigorous training of a certain shinobi named Rock Lee. He had been training twice as hard lately. He had just turned seventeen last month and he had many training goals he still wanted to achieve before his next birthday. He knew he had to give his training everything he had to reach his goals.

Rock Lee was powerful and steadfast, but he lacked the ability to perform ninjutsu or genjutsu. He was the only ninja in the village that could only use taijutsu in battle. Because of this he had spent years perfecting his taijutsu skills. He was a fearsome opponent, to any who dared to challenge him. It always ended much worse for those who also underestimated him.

Today's training was about the basics. Rehearsing proper kicks and punches, with calming "breaks" in between for a few hundred push ups. His teacher, Might Guy, would say that's the proper way to warm up and fuel the power of youth after all! Lee managed to make it almost all the way through his session, only to be interrupted by Guy Sensei, and the Sensei of team seven, Kakashi Hatake. Guy took a deep inhale and loudly announced, "Lee! Lady Tsunade, our fifth Hokage, has asked me to bring you to her for an important mission!"

In that moment Lee beamed from ear to ear and responded with a clench of his fist and a firm thumbs up. "Of course Guy Sensei! I am honored to take part in any mission and very grateful to be a part of one one deemed important!" Kakashi watched their interaction as he stood in the background. He found himself quite amused by their overly exuberant relationship, yet also a bit uncomfortable. Guy influenced Lee to the point he seemed like a carbon copy of Guy himself.

After a few moments of them gushing over each other, (as they often do) the three of them left the training grounds. They didn't want to keep the Hokage waiting so they headed to her office as fast as they could, knowing she was not a patient woman.

Once arriving, they found themselves sitting in the familiar room with the big window that overlooked the whole village, they stood waiting. Lady Tsunade was sitting at her desk, her hands clasped tightly together in front of her mouth. She was deep in thought. Knowing better than to interrupt, they all stood quietly in front of her waiting for her to say something.

After a few minutes she opened her eyes and looked up to them. Immediately she let out a deep sigh. "Unsurprisingly, we are waiting on Naruto." she said irritably.

It was at that moment Naruto walked through the door with a grin. "Sorry I'm late Grandma Tsunade, I kinda overslept." He said with a laugh.

Tsunade snarled at him and shouted, "LISTEN HERE YOU LITTLE BRAT! I HAVE WAY MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO THAN SIT AROUND WAITING FOR YOU TO FINISH YOUR BREAKFAST!" Naruto cowared back, knowing her temper was not one to mess with.

"Sorry." he fearfully groaned, lifting his hands in the air.

After Tsunade finished glaring at Naruto, her gaze turned to Lee, Guy, and Kakashi. She softened her tone and went on to explain the mission.

"A few days ago Kakashi informed me of a possible ally or enemy living in the forest between the Kawa Pass and the Leaf Village. Rumor has it our target has a strong hold on the forest with a powerful ninjutsu. I had planned on sending Kakashi to retrieve her by himself, but one of my sources informed me that some rogue ninja were seen in the area. They could possibly be working for Orochimaru."

"Orochimaru!" Naruto shouted frantically. He had a look of concern on his face and Tsunade knew exactly what was going through his mind.

"They didn't see Sasuke, there's still no word on his whereabouts."