CHAPTER ONE: The Crossover

CHAPTER ONE

Aiden, Aria, and other armed rebels were taking cover behind a truck early in the morning. Aidan had his crosshairs aimed at the President, standing on a twenty-foot platform alongside his arm security detail, General Fagans in another fellow.

            "Aiden, this is your chance. Take out the President now. "Aria said.

            Aiden focuses crosshairs on the President's head.

            "Aidan now!" Aria shouted. "We're missing our window of opportunity."

            "I can't do it," he spoke.

            Aria lowered her weapon. "What!" she asked in disbelief. "Why?"

* * * * * *

MONTHS BEFORE

            Aidan sat in his lab, four levels below the earth's surface, approximately a block long and wide. The walls were transparent; used for projecting screens. Inside the ceiling were dome lights that shined bright, and in the center of the room was an oval pit fifteen feet deep; it had double barred railings going around it, and the steps were adjacent to one another.

            The clear door in the front of the lab slid open, and two of Aidan's closest friends entered; Chloe Barness, who's also his assistant, and along with his childhood friend Jason Dietrich, who's also a Captain in the United States Marine Corps at the age of twenty-four.

            Jason and Aidan were both studs, having graduated high school at sixteen. Soon after, the two of them obtained bachelor's degrees. Finally, they separated; Jason attended Officer Candidate School while Aiden continued graduate school and received a master's degree at Temple University.

             After hard work and dedication, Aidan is now the CEO of the most prominent technology and cyber security company (AIMS TECHNOLOGY). This landed him significant contracts with the U.S. Department of Defense, private militaries, government contractors, and many other companies.

             Aidan was standing and typing in commands at a clear desk workstation across from the pit. He looked at the sound of the door opening and branded a big smile at the sight of Jason.

Jason shared the same emotional smile, "Aidan Aims," he said, walking over to him and extending his arm, "how long has it been? Four years?"

        Aidan accepted the handshake and said, "That sounds about right." He then released his grip, "what brings you home?"

       "I was told your parents recently passed away and your fiancé soon after. I'm sorry, brother, you must be going through trying times."

Aidan exhaled slowly and sharply. "Thank you for that... However, I'm hanging in there—I keep myself distracted with work. Sorry I haven't reached out to you," he said, "though I'm a bit curious; how'd you find out?"

Chloe made a small gesture and said, "I told him."

Aidan looked surprised, "you two know each other?"

"Not only do we know each other, but We're also dating," she said shyly.

"Uhm...wow—when did this happen?" he asked, taken aback.

            Jason was also surprised. He thought Chloe had already mentioned their relationship status to Aidan because they'd been exclusive for a few months. "I see you haven't told him yet, Chlo."

            "Well, I was," she looked to Aidan, "but so much was going on with your family—I was waiting for the right time to tell you."

            Though Aidan found her reasoning legit, he was still curious about their affair, "so how did this happen? How did you two hook up?"