Ch 5: The Library

[A/N: slight edits made towards the end of the chapter from the originally published version]

Other than the bento box set back, the day had gone amazingly well! She enjoyed spending time with her guide, and on top of that had even made a friend in Kenji! The boy was certainly odd to her, upbeat and a bit of a class clown, he seemed to have almost as much respect as Shuichi among their classmates. She was a bit sad that none of the girls had tried to speak with her after lunch, but Shuichi seemed to act like that was expected, so she tried not to let it bother her.

True to his word, He had taken her to the public library after school, and to say she was impressed would be an understatement!! The library was absolutely massive!! It took up the first two floors of a high-rise downtown, and had a large, balcony-esque walkway in the center! There were rows upon rows of bookshelves in any genre imaginable, and to her absolute delight the lady at the front said she could check out up to ten books at once!!!

Shuichi had watched patiently as she searched every single shelf in the fantasy-fiction section, coming back out with a few books he recognized, and some he had yet to read himself.

She grabbed one book with an orange kitten on the front, determined to read it first, one with a boy gazing at the stars at night, one with a girl with silver hair, two swords in hand as a blue flame circled behind her, and several others. He grinned as he recognized one of the books, a personal favorite of his.

A knight stood on a rocky outcropping, staring out over a vast wasteland of cliffs and crevices as a storm blew in. In his opinion, the book had no truly heroic characters as most would describe them. Each character had a past to contend with, and he could see himself a bit in their struggles to somehow be better. He had a feeling the little fox would enjoy that one, and caught a resemblance to her and a certain character from the book itself.

After some time, the girl sat on the ground, surrounded by multiple piles of books as she sorted through the ones she wished to check out first. Her skirt pooled around her as she twisted and turned, examining each pile meticulously. Once she had narrowed her pile down to about thirteen books, he smiled and picked three at random from her pile.

"How about I'll check these out for you, and you can let me know when you're ready to return them?" He offered, seeing the struggle in the girl's eyes to narrow the choices down any further.

Her blue-green eyes lit up and she looked up at him with the most pleading expression that either boy or demon had ever seen! Yoko purred in the back of his mind as he watched through Shuichi's eyes. The little thing was a treasure indeed...