The Bridge

Feolis:

I leaned back against the wall and looked at the ground, remembering that life changing day. "My father and I had gone out to get my sister a birthday present. We were talking and laughing when he suddenly stopped and said to me to leave. That bad people were here and I needed to return home and protecy Lea. My sister. He was so serious and scary that I took the present and did as he said."

I closed my eyes, clenching my hands into fists and bracing my shouders. "But I couldn't just leave him, so I returned and watched through a small hole in the bridge he was under. I watched black clothed figures with wings come in and say things to him. Then they killed him. He didn't even give a fight."

I opened my eyes, not telling them that that was the thing that bothered me most, how he didn't even fight back. The alien watched me strangely, her black eyes seemed almost to glow. I looked away, away from Van and her. After a moment she spoke, "Well, let us start there."

I looked up at her, than nodded.

We left immediately, giving me only enough time to grab some weapons and hide them on my person. We kept to the shadows, hiding the alien with the dark. It didn't take long to get to the bridge, Van lived pretty close, and I stopped in front of the hole that had seemed so much bigger when I had watched my father die at such a young age.

She knelt down in front of it and layed her hand on the stone, looking through. "How do you do it?" She asked without looking at me.

"Do what?" I was confused.

"Stand there, beside me, when it was my kind that killed your family." Her voice was low, soft.

"Easy," I said, "Not everyone is the same. I understand that. Even aliens have their bad eggs."

She stood, close, meeting my eyes. "So mature and so old, at such a young age."

"Wait," I frowned, "How old are you?"

She smiled, "I am 152 human years young."

I blanched, "Holy crap."

She shrugged, her big black wings moving up with the motion. I suddenly wanted to touch them, to lean forward and feel their softness. But no, that would be wrong.

Aren:

His face hardened and he turned away, "Let's go." He said emotionlessly and started walking. I watched him for a second and then followed. We walked in silence, only breaking it when he asked about my shoulder. I replied it was almost fully healed, I heal fast, when around the corner I heard it. I shoved Feolis into the wall and clamped a hand over his mouth. He jerked and a dagger appeared in his hand and at my throat.

I growled lightly and nodded my head around the corner. I slowly let him go and he peeked around the edge, then immediately withdrew when he saw what I had heard. Van being forcefully removed from his home by the same kind of people that had captured me in the beginning.

Feolis cursed and leaned back against the wall, just as lightls from hovercars revealed where we were. People flooded out and Feolis cursed again, pulling blasters from his clothes. I couldn't understand how he could fit all of those in there.

A shot sent wall chips cascading over me as it hit the wall beside my head. I snarled loudly, baring my fangs and hissing at the people. I grasped my arms around Feolis's waist and ran forward. I used the hood of a hovercar to propell myself into the air. I flapped my wings hard, time seemed to slow down as I dodged the blaster bullets. Feolis grunted as one clipped his calf.

I kept my lips shut in a tight line as I was hit, but we got farthur and farthur away until soon they were gone, nothing but dots in the distance.

I set us down in a small cave above an ocean. Feolis was unconsiouss. I set him down and quickly cleaned his calf, then collapsed down beside him. I was tired and my shoulders ached from the flying. I still wasn't used to the excessive amounts of gravity. I closed my eyes and fell asleep.