Chapter 6

When I awoke, I was propped up against a wall in an alley not far from the one I had just been in.

 I tried to stand but felt a pounding in my head so allowed myself to sit for a few minutes, my eyes closed, gathering my thoughts.

 Oh God.

 Even a concussion wouldn’t make me forget who she was this time.

 My phone began to buzz in my pocket, showing a new text message, so slowly I opened my eyes, lowered my head, and shoved my hand into my pocket to read the text.

 “Sorry about that. She’s got contacts who are willing to do her dirty work but I’ve learnt not to walk around unarmed. You’ll be safe for now.” 

 It was from Peter - well, the number he asked me to meet him on, I assumed it was his.

 I needed to get home.

***

 “Harry!”

 I called out his name as I burst through the front door, searching the house for him in my desperation to tell him before I forgot once again.

 “Lou?” 

 His voice came from the kitchen at the back of the house and I wondered how he could sound so calm at a time like this.

 Rushing towards him I saw him leaning against a kitchen counter just out of sight, casual, relaxed, composed, the opposite of me.

 Of course, when I reached to grab his shoulders and stare madly at his face he began to worry too.

 “It was like a government secret or something and it did change everything but it changed her too which is why she’s such a bitch now and it’s him the one she mentioned and he told me everything and I just-”

 “I can’t understand a word of what you’re saying Louis, calm down. The others should be here soon, do you want to wait until they get here?”

 “No Harry, it can’t wait. I know who P is.”

 I explained to him everything Peter told me, from the crazy conspiracy theory to the teenage love story him and P shared. I was cruel too though, keeping my realization of P’s identity to myself until the last minute when I finally was ready to reveal it.

 “And that’s when I realised, that she was -”

 The knock at the door and the silhouettes of the boys outside cut me off and I sighed. Why was I never allowed to finish a sentence anymore?

 Harry put a finger up, signifying to me to pause, and paced down the hallway to swing open the door for the others. I moved to lean on the counter island and stare at them, waiting expectantly.

 “You took your time” He sighed at them, a disapproving look crossing his face. Despite myself and our current predicament I took a second to admire his fatherly attitude, longing for the day we would have children of our own. I watched him as he moved closer to me, striding with power, confidence and force. It seemed to reflect his personality and confidence of recent.

 I was snapped back into reality by four expectant faces glaring at me. Harry was leaning opposite me, Liam to his right and next to Liam Niall and Zayn holding hands in their cutesy relationship way.

 “What?” I asked, confused. What had I missed?

 “Tell them what you were telling me Lou!” Harry snapped as if it were obvious, like I should have known.

 Daydreaming would be the death of me.

 I explained everything once again to them, tired of the words already, hurrying so I could get to the interesting part that I hadn’t even told Harry yet.