Chapter twelve : The Silence before the Storm

Dahee wanted to go to her house as soon as possible. But it seemed, however, that fate had conspired to keep her there, with a series of trivial matters preventing her departure. Sometimes, it was Heeseung's father, Mr. Yang, whose deteriorating health became an obstacle. His ailments demanded constant attention, and Dahee couldn't bear to leave when her presence offered some solace to the mother. The neighborhood ladies were another force to be reckoned with. They descended upon the Yang household like a storm, bearing their own share of rumors and gossip. Their true motive, of course, was to catch a glimpse of the unknown girl that their sons had brought home. Dahee became the unwitting center of attention, subject to appraising glances and scrutinizing whispers.But it wasn't only health concerns that delayed her plans. Through all these trying days, Dahee and Heeseung found themselves in a peculiar silence. Their interactions were limited to fleeting glances and polite bows. Neither of them had taken the step to bridge the growing chasm that seemed to divide them.

Meanwhile, in the heart of the Bak household, a different story was unfolding. Sunghoon, the patriarch, appeared to have shifted his daily routine. He seldom left the house or retreated to his study, which was previously his sanctuary. Instead, upon returning from the office, he would find a spot on the front porch. To the casual observer, it seemed like he was engrossed in profound literature or deep contemplation.

However, beneath this façade lay a hidden motive. Sunghoon was quietly observing his wife, taking in her every graceful movement as she tended to the garden. He watched as she instructed Chulnon the finer points of washing clothes. Sunghoon couldn't help but smile as he overheard her playfully teasing Jongseang about his culinary skills.

Since that fateful night, Sunghoon's perspective on Sunwoo had shifted dramatically. He had always held a certain prejudice against daughters of influential households, believing them to be pampered and reliant on servants for everything. He despised such individuals and initially thought of his wife as one of them. He expected her to be a spoiled girl with no practical skills, unlike his own mother, who had always managed the household with grace and strength. (Indeed, the age-old habit of comparing one's spouse to their mother was one that many men were guilty of!)

However, Sunwoo defied all his expectations. He not only demonstrated her ability to run an entire household efficiently, thanks to his years of service for the Gim family, but he also revealed herself to be morally and intellectually superior. Dahee had played a significant role in his development by teaching him to read and write Hangul and even lending him books to enrich his knowledge. Sunwoo always had thoughtful answers to Sunghoon's questions and engaged in discussions and debates with him. The servants and neighbors often spotted the couple in the small pavilion in the courtyard of the main family residence, where they shared laughter, conversed on official matters, and consulted Sunwoo on various issues he encountered.

As the days passed, Sunghoon found himself slowly and irrevocably falling in love with his wife. Two weeks had elapsed since their marriage, and he was completely captivated by her. Tomorrow marked the beginning of the Seollal celebration, a three-day event to welcome the Joseon new year, and it was the Year of the Dragon, considered auspicious for everyone.

In the early morning, Sunwoo was already awake and bustling with preparations for the "charye," an essential part of the Seollal celebration. With the assistance of Sunghoon's mother, sister, Chul, and some other female servants, they diligently worked on preparing the food for the day. The house was filled with the aroma of delicacies, and the family's joyful anticipation of the celebrations to come was palpable. Sunghoon watched his wife with a growing admiration and gratitude for her dedication.

Sunwoo had always had a natural affinity for the role that he now found himself in. Although he is a male, deep down, he knew he wasn't quite like the others around him, who embodied the typical ideals of masculinity – strength, courage, adventure, duty, and responsibility. Sunwoo's true nature leaned more toward the feminine side, sensitive, nurturing qualities, and calmness.