Chapter Nine: Gim Da-hee

(on the night of the runaway)
As the moonlight shimmered over the tranquil river, Da-hee stood nervously by the water's edge, her heart pounding in her chest. Dressed in a male attire, she attempted to conceal her true identity, hoping to escape the predetermined path that had been laid out for her. Beside her, Sunwoo, the servant boy who had grown up alongside her, offered a reassuring smile,yet his eyes were worried.

The night was enveloped in secrecy as they awaited the arrival of Heeseung and Jungwon. The two had already agreed to help Da-hee cross the river on Sunwoo's demand for they understood the depths of his predicament and the seriousness of the situation.

As Heeseung and Jungwon emerged from the shadows, their eyes widened with astonishment as they took in the sight before them. Da-hee's delicate features bore an uncanny resemblance to Sunwoo. It was as if nature had crafted them as mirror images, twins separated at birth. The moonlight cast an ethereal glow upon their faces, accentuating the striking similarity between the two.

Jungwon, unable to contain his surprise, approached Sunwoo cautiously, giving him a scrutinizing look . "Sunwoo," he whispered, his voice laced with incredulity, "Are you sure you two are not siblings by blood?"

Sunwoo striked a fiesty gaze on Jungwon who gulped in return. But after a few seconds the former's expression turned into a more intriguing countenance. That was something he would always ask himself. Are the rumours inside Lord Gim's household true? Am I his illegitimate child? Is Lord Gim my father? Sunoo shook his torso with aversion. He felt guilty about thinking of such things which could question his mother's devotion and loyalty. But she never spoke of his father to him and he never dared to ask. He let out a sigh! Aah!

Heeseung was visibly moved by the striking similarity between the Yangban girl and the slave boy. Heeseung or anyone in the village has never seen the Lord's daughter's face for that matter. So it is justifiable how much he was shaken by this revelation. Sunwoo looks like the male version of Da-hee or one can say the other way too. Either way both were like the same, statues made from a single mould.

With renewed determination, the group embarked on their journey across the river leaving Sunwoo by the riverbanks. Da-hee smiled at him waving goodbye.

The moon's reflection danced upon the water's surface, guiding their way like a celestial compass. The river was calmer than usual, silently reflecting the boat and its occupants. Heeseung and Jungwon took their positions at the front and rear, ensuring Da-hee's safety as they navigated the river's currents. She looked at the water which was like a big sheet of mirror spread across and the moon which hung low in the sky, casted a gentle glow upon the world below. Her mind wandered to the times when she met Shim Jayoon for the first time in her life.

It was on a monday morning, while attending a gathering of scholars, Da-hee caught a glimpse of a face among the crowd. Handsome and elegant! It was Shim Jayoon, a soon to be scholar and son of a respected friend of her father. He was friends with her brother Gim Taehyung and often visited the Gimhae house for academic purposes and scholarly gatherings.

After one such event, both Da-hee and Jayoon had a chance to become acquainted with each other. They exchanged pleasantries, their conversation filled with a mixture of excitement and warmth. She learned that Shim Jayoon's is the son of the late Government official Lord Shim.

With a shared understanding and mutual respect, Da-hee and Shim Jayoon became close. They became confidants, supporting and inspiring each other in their pursuits. Together, they would sometimes engage in scholarly discussions and prose reading that enriched their mind and brought them joy. Before even realising, Da-hee's love for Shim Jayoon evolved into a deep admiration and respect. They both felt their heart at ease with each other.