Chapter five : The Marriage

My lordship's Alliance

Chapter five : The Marriage part one

The nal badi,  auspicious day of the marriage came. The Gimhae family was busy with the wedding. All the important personnels of the state and many villagers were gathered at the house yard. Lord Gim's elder sister came into Da-hee's room to accompany her to the family shrine. Da-hee was already in her costume and was looking so beautiful. Her aunt asked her to great the ancestors and how down in front of the shrine. Da-hee was silent and never bashed an eye at her aunt or smiled at her. Lord Gim came into the family altar along with his sons, Seokjin and Taehyung. Both brothers smiled at Da-hee and felt so proud. Da-hee still laid her head down and her eyes fixed on the floor. The aunt instructed her to bow down fully at her father and brothers to pay them respect. She did as she was told.

Lord Gim slowly approached his daughter and helped her get up. He said, " it's an important day for this family and me. My precious daughter is getting married and is entering a new phase in life." He continued, " on this occasion, I would give you one little advice to you, my daughter!" Lord Gim paused and took Da-hee's hands in his hand. He then said, " never disobey your husband and in laws. And always be there to love and support your husband in all his endeavours and bring pride to this family." Da-hee still bowing her head nodded in agreement to her father.

As the lord finished giving his advice to the young girl, her aunt came and advised the girl to serve her in laws with devotion and reverence.

The Chohaeng, the wedding procession has already reached the Yangdong village. Bak Sunghoon was in his samogwandae attire, riding a horse with gireogi in his arms and as well as a saseon to hide his face. He has also brought a carriage for the bride. The groom's entourage included his father, his best man  and servants. Bak Sunghoon headed towards the temporary house built behind the Gimhae house to refresh himself. After resting for a while and getting ready he and the procession reached the bride's house.

Before the formal wedding, the groom had to do the jeonanrye. Therefore Bak Sunghoon came into the front yard of the Gimhae family and presented a wooden goose to the bride's family. He kept the wooden goose on the jeonansang in the jeonancheong where the aunt had already lit the lamps . He then performed a series of bows and double full bows to show his respect. The aunt carried the goose away into the bride's room and threw it on the floor. Everyone was in anticipation and was soon relieved to see that the goose landed on its bottom. 'its going to be a boy!' everyone sighed happily.

This officially marked the beginning of the wedding. The groom and his entourage had already reached the choryecheong, the place where the wedding rituals are held. The main table (choryesang) was placed at the one end of the yard inside a tent called Chail.

The bride in her beautiful attire was brought outside the house to the yard. Da-hee was in a pretty red silk gown and was very beautiful to look at. She was like a morning sun glowing bright in the day, like daisies looming out of the bushes. Her cheeks were painted red with rouge and eyes lined black with kohl. But she wasn't smiling.

Both the bride and groom stood across the opposite sides of the ceremonial table facing each other. Da-hee was holding her hands in-front of her face with the full sleeves of her blouse covering her entire face.. Bak Sunghoon held his hand in front and proceeded to bow as the bride also did the same. This is called as sanggyeonrye or the first meeting. The bows shared by the bride groom represented the promise to commit to each other for the rest of their lives, growing old together for hundred years like the saying baeknyeonhaero. 

There were several things put on the table. Red candle on the east side and blue candle on the west. Pine tree and bamboo tree in flowerpots tied to each other with red and blue strings, grains and local produce like chestnut, jujube, rice, beans, a pair of gourd halves, live rooster and hen wrapped in red and blue silk and variety of things were placed on the table. Smaller tables were placed on the east and west side of the ceremonial table, each laden with kettle, cup, and plate for wine drinking session.

Da-hee stood on the west side while Bak Sunghoon was on the east side of the table. After the bow both looked at each other. Bak Sunghoon saw the glowing face of theDamsel he first met on the village tavern and he slightly smirked relishing the moment he held her waist helping  her not to tumble. Da-hee was still looking down.

The two sijas helped the bride and groom to wash their hands. The red and blue candles were lit, and a series of bows were carried out, as instructed by the wedding officiant (honju). The bride bowed facing the east and the groom bowed towards the west in return.

Next the wedding officiant or instructed the bride and groom to have a cup of wine. The Sims filled a cup with wine and the groom had his sip and lastly the bride had a sip. Dates were given for the groom and jujube for the bride to eat.

Both Da-hee and Sunghoon stood up and came together in front of the table and bowed together three times, once to the bride's family and one to the ancestors and the last to the guests.

Heeseung and Jungwon were there in the crowd watching the wedding. Both were there to look for Sunwoo whom they haven't seen for a while.

The truth was that last night Sunwoo helped Da-hee to flee from her home. She dressed herself as Sunwoo and he helped Da-hee go out of the house courtyard and reach the river bank where both Jungwon and Heeseung were waiting. With the help of both the guys, Da-hee reached the opposite city where Shim Jayoon's Seonwoo was situated. Both boys reached the Gimhae household as soon as they dropped Da-hee off to the other town in-order to help their friend who must have been in trouble with the Gimhaes for helping their daughter flee. But much to their astonishment, the marriage ceremony was going on in the Gimhae house without any problem and the marriage has ended. The bride and groom were also present.

"Who is he marrying?" Jungwon asked a villager.
"Lord Gim's daughter Gim Da-hee." The villager said.

Jungwon and Heeseung were confused. But we have safely helped her cross the river last night! Both guys thought. They both looked at each other baffled till sense stroke one, Jungwon gasped and pulled Heeseung closer.

" I think Sunwoo must have swapped Da-hee's place for the wedding!" Jungwon said. Heeseung was in utter disbelief! How can he possibly endanger himself like this? Jungwon and Heeseung slowly looked at the wedding scene before them! Yes! They were able to recognise Sunwoo under all those makeup and attire.

'Sunwoo, what have you done?' they thought.