☾ chapter twenty-two

HE FINDS HIMSELF STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF WOODSBORO. It's different, though. Everything seems brighter, more vibrant, more alive. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and the world seems full of hope and possibility.

As he wanders through the streets, he sees a small house that looks familiar. The curtains are open, and inside he can see his mom, sitting at a table with a cup of tea, smiling at him. She looks happy, healthy, and sober. 

As he steps inside, he sees a little girl sitting at the table with her. It's Tatum, his Tatum. They're both so young, with bright eyes and laughter on their lips. Ethan's heart swells with joy.

Tatum jumps up from her chair and runs to him, throwing her arms around him in a tight embrace. It's like coming home. They laugh and play, running around the small house.

As he walks, he feels a hand slip into his, and he turns to see Tatum, her eyes shining with warmth and love. They start walking, hand in hand, and it feels like they are the only people in the world. He can feel the sun on his face, and the scent of flowers fills his nose. He feels like he's floating on a cloud.

They walk past the old oak tree where they carved their initials and sit down under its shade. They talk about everything and nothing at the same time, just enjoying each other's company. With her, he would never be alone. She was his best friend, his soulmate, his everything. 

They're each other's first kiss, a sweet and innocent moment that set his heart ablaze. She always goes to watch his soccer games, and Tatum cheers for him louder than anyone else, proudly proclaiming that he's the best. They go on long drives through the winding roads of the town, talking about everything and nothing at all, and they stop by a meadow to watch the stars.

He asks her to prom, and she wears a beautiful dress and whispers in his ear that she loves him. He had known it all along, of course, but hearing her say it out loud made his heart skip a beat.

Together, they go to college in California, not New York. They share a small house, but it's theirs, and they tend to a garden in the back. They spend lazy afternoons sitting side by side, reading books, stopping from time to time to make silly comments about the characters. They dance in the kitchen to "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" while they cook pasta. They make love under the stars, and Ethan can feel the warmth of her body against his.

Ethan knows that they were always meant to be together, that their love would exist in every time and space, in every universe, all the time. He marries her under a willow tree, with their closest friends and family gathered around. They have children who are happy and healthy, who aren't haunted, who aren't tainted. They have family dinners and go camping every summer.

As they grow old together, wrinkles and grey hair setting in, Ethan forgets about most things, but never her. Tatum is always on his mind, the first thing he thinks about in the morning when he wakes up and at night before he goes to sleep. They hold hands as they sit on the porch, watching the world go by, content in each other's company.