☼ chapter twenty

TATUM HAD ALWAYS BEEN THE ODD ONE OUT. The kid who never quite fit in with the rest. The one who always carried around a book, even during recess, and ate lunch with the teachers. She didn't fit in with any of the cliques at school, and the other kids didn't know what to make of her.

That is, until she met Amber. 

Amber was a force of nature, even at a young age. She had a charisma that seemed to draw people to her, even the ones who were skeptical of her unconventional ways. She had an impish grin and bright, curious eyes that twinkled with mischief. Amber's peculiarities had a magnetic quality about them, and it wasn't long before Tatum found herself falling under her spell.

With Amber by her side, Tatum felt like she could take on the world. She was a fierce defender of Tatum's honor, willing to go to great lengths to protect her from the bullies who had tormented her for years. But it wasn't just about protection. Amber saw something special in Tatum that no one else had ever seen. She admired Tatum's butterfly wing collection, finding beauty in its intricacies, and was always eager to pore over it with her.

When Gale left Woodsboro and Tatum and Dewey moved into the trailer, Amber welcomed Tatum into her family's beautiful home with open arms. Her mom was warm and nurturing, and her dad was always cracking jokes and teasing Amber. Tatum felt like she had stumbled into some kind of alternate universe, where people didn't judge her or make her feel like an outsider.

For over a month, Tatum stayed with Amber and her family, until Dewey had recovered enough to take her back to the trailer. They would stay up late, giggling and talking about everything under the sun. They made plans for the future, dreaming of the day when they could get their driver's licenses and take the motorhome on a cross-country adventure. 

Amber spent so much time at Tatum's trailer that Dewey began calling her his stepdaughter. It was a joke, of course, but Tatum knew how much Dewey cared for Amber. They had been each other's lifelines, and without Amber, Tatum always figured she'd feel adrift.

And then, Tatum watched Amber shoot Liv in the head, and her world shattered into a million tiny pieces, trapped in a twisted nightmare. Her childhood friend, her savior, her confidante, was the very same person who had destroyed everything she held dear. The memories of their bond felt like a sick joke, taunting her with what she had lost.

Wes and Judy, the people who had taken Tatum in and treated her like their own daughter, were gone forever. And then there was Dewey, the one person who had always been there for her, who loved Amber like a daughter, and who was brutally murdered by the very same hands that had once held Tatum's.

Gale, her mother who she had a strained relationship with, lay on the ground, wounded and bleeding, a reminder of the destruction Amber had wrought on her life. And then there was Tatum herself, left for dead by Amber's sleazy boyfriend, Richie, her body battered and broken.