☾ chapter five

ETHAN COULDN'T BELIEVE SHE HAD ACTUALLY FALLEN ASLEEP. It had been an hour since she drifted off, and he was shocked. He remembered her telling him how sleeping had been a struggle for her since the killings in Woodsboro. He wondered if it was just the alcohol or if his presence was actually helping her relax.

He could hear her breathing softly, her chest rising and falling in a steady rhythm. It was almost soothing to him, the sound of her sleeping. He wondered if she would be mad at him in the morning for staying the night, but he didn't care. He couldn't leave her alone, not right now.

He rolled over onto his side, facing her bed. Tatum was lying on her side, facing away from him, her raven dark hair splayed across the pillow. She looked peaceful, almost like an angel. Ethan cursed himself for thinking such a thing. 

He closed his eyes, trying to push away the thoughts. He focused on Tatum's breathing instead, letting the sound lull him into a peaceful state. He knew he had to get up soon and leave, but he didn't want to wake her. He wanted to savor the moment, to feel like he was doing something good for once.

As the minutes passed, Ethan's mind drifted. He thought about his father's plan, the one he failed at following it to a T that night. He opened his eyes and stared up at the ceiling once more, but his thoughts were interrupted by Tatum stirring in her sleep. 

He watched as she turned over onto her back, her arm falling limply over the side of the bed. He debated whether or not to get up and leave, but he didn't want to risk waking her. He decided to stay a little while longer, just to make sure she was okay.

He closed his eyes once more, letting the sound of her breathing lull him back into a peaceful state. For the first time in a long time, Ethan felt like he was doing something good, something right. He knew it was all just a facade, but it felt nice to pretend, just for a little while.

Ethan's ears prick up as he hears the sound of the front door opening and the muffled chatter of the group returning from the party. He silently hopes that the noise won't wake Tatum up. He doesn't know why he cares so much about her sleeping, but he just wants her to have some peace.

After a few minutes of conversation, the door to the room creaks open. Ethan's heart races as he sees Chad enter, looking confused as he spots Ethan sleeping on the floor.

"What the hell, man? Why are you sleeping in Tatum's room?" Chad whispers harshly, trying to not wake Tatum.

Ethan's mind races as he tries to come up with an explanation that won't make him seem suspicious.

"She wasn't feeling well and asked me to stay," he says, trying to keep his voice low.

Chad looks skeptical but nods, "Alright, well, whatever, I hate to do this but we need to wake her up. It's urgent."

Ethan's heart sinks as he protests, "She's only been asleep for an hour, can't it wait?"

Chad looks determined, "No, it can't wait. Get up and help me."