13. More Domestic Shenanigans

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS? PRETTY PLEASE? 

(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ Don't forget to Vote, Comment and Follow me! 

*********************************

It wasn't just General Haoran going through withdrawals within the Zhou Manor.

Even Fu Lin felt like he'd go insane if he continued to stay grounded and confined to this hellhole they call 'Manor'. He had always been a chatty person and craved conversation with literally anybody. However, even the very first time he tried to talk to a servant within the manor turned out to be a disaster.

At the beginning, because he wanted to get used to the place, Fu Lin barely opened his mouth and just simply smiled at the servants at the manor. They too smiled back at him unreservedly, and therefore he assumed it was good for him to initiate conversation. But when he did, they completely ignored him. This happened with almost every servant, and he began thinking that maybe the servants here were mute. But that was proven wrong when he tried something out.

"Greetings, servitor of the Zhou Manor," he casually greeted the chambermaid, who came to wash his legs with warm water early in the morning.

"This servant greets your grace." She replied smilingly and got to work.

See? She had, and she could reply just fine. They all could.

He played along, saying, "The weather is nice, isn't it?"

She smilingly ignored him and got to washing his feet. A minute passed, and Fu Lin felt a bit awkward, but he was not one who knew shame! So he tried again with a different approach.

"There was some dust on the bed covers last night, and I had a hard time sleeping."

"Oh?" She stopped washing his feet and checked the bed covers keenly. "I shall immediately get them cleaned, Your Grace."

Why wouldn't she reply when he asked something random and only reply when he asked something about their duties? It couldn't be... it wasn't something like they'd only ever reply to him for something work-related. Annoyed by the thought, he wanted to confirm it.

"Why do the servants of Zhou Manor only ever talk when it's something about their duty or work?" Fu Lin asked, "I have never seen you people have a happy laugh or chat."

The maid looked at him, shocked. "Your Grace did not have the privilege to know about the Zhou Manor rules yet, your Grace? The Zhu family tradition values silence and silent perseverance. Therefore, we have been disciplined to refrain from unnecessary speech—anything unrelated to our work that is with the masters of the house. Vain speech is only allowed between the masters of the household." The maid blushed when she told the rest "And that too is only within the bed chamber".

Fu Lin didn't want to know anything anymore. So the only one he's allowed to converse with is that pretentious, shitty giant general?! He really couldn't live this down.

So when the issue of the official robe came up, he decided he'd do something to get his freedom back. Since he's been grounded inside this damned manor for a month, he couldn't meet other people anyway. He was really angry and too scared to do anything—about having to wear that itchy official robe—and the reason he ran to the roof was because they couldn't chase him down there; the space was too narrow for men in the manor to glide down, and it really wasn't to force the General into doing his bid. He simply wanted to run away—run away from that dress, this manor, and the general himself.

However, the general himself gave him a prime opportunity by giving him one wish.

And that was all he wanted.

After that, he did everything he wanted with reckless abandon. Once, he tried somehow tricking a servant into talking with him.

"I found something peculiar on the floor," he once told a handsome manservant.

"Your Grace?" The servant had looked at him with concern and asked, "What is it? I shall immediately get it cleaned up."

He held a piece of white cotton cloth in his hand. On top of this cotton cloth there was a small strand of black hair, curved and thin.

"A piece of hair, Your Grace?" He looked at the floor and said, "Hairs are pretty common in the manor, especially since some servants have baby hairs like that".

"This isn't any hair, Servitor."

"Then, Your Grace?"

"It is pubic hair, if you will!"

The servant looked at him horrified.

"You know pubic hair? The hair down there? Yeah, that one! I was just looking for a pearl that fell down accidentally and came across this treasure. You know there are very clear distinctions between baby hair and pubic hair? Pubic hair is slightly rougher and has an unrefined tangent to its curls. Also they..."

After having to listen to Fu Lin go on about pubic hair for over 20 minutes, the servant bowed before General Haoran and begged with tears in his eyes to let him resign from his serving duties. Apparently, he had never come across anything so vulgar in his entire life and was traumatized.

General Haoran nearly popped a vein in anger when he heard what was happening. But he couldn't do anything about it because he had already promised to let Fu Lin do whatever he wanted. So he could only compensate the fellow with a good sum and adjourn him from his duties.

Fu Lin was saddened by the fact that his friend, who had so attentively listened to him talk about pubic hair, had resigned. Just when he thought he made a friend. He was bored and listless once again, but he didn't try to talk to anybody again—it was too exhausting. So he wandered around the house and came across the general, who was standing by the window observing the scenery.

Fu Lin quickly hid himself. The general had not seen him this time, and he was the only one who was aware of the general. He took this opportunity to look at what the general actually looked like in his home clothes; since he couldn't gossip about anybody else, he might as well gossip about him!

The general was, of course, wearing the official robe handed down by the Zhou tradition. It was so formal that even within the general's own home, he wore a full-sleeved robe with the collar wrapped all the way up to his neck. His appearance was grand and aristocratic, with intricate gold embroidery lining the black shades of his dress that slid down his erect back. There was no subtlety even in his hair design, as two side braids coiled along his hair to join a very high ponytail, bound by a gleaming crown shaped like the sun. His waist, too, was neatly fastened around a very thick metal belt. Everything about him was pristinely combed down, not a hair or ornament out of place.

And just looking at him suffocated Fu Lin. This level of neatness scorched Fu Lin's eyes. His bearing and attire screamed honor and dignity, but he absolutely knew better. He knew aristocrats loved to show off, but not to this extent. Not even his royal brothers went out of their way to wear official robes within their own palaces.

"What a pompous prig," Fu Lin sneered at him, "absolutely disgusting."

***************************

Haoran: Did you just hate me for my attire? 

Fu Lin: Yes, Yes I did. Not my fault you have an ugly sense of fashion. 

Haoran: ლ(¯ロ¯"ლ) Mamaaaaaa

How was your day? What do you think about Fu Lin's ehem... interests? Lemme know!