twenty two: the end of an era.

THE REST OF the day was as strange as the beginning. Campers trickled in from New York by car, pegasus, and chariot. The wounded were cared for. The dead were given proper funeral rites at the campfire.

Silena's shroud was hot pink, but embroidered with an electric spear. The Ares and Aphrodite cabins both claimed her as a hero, and lit the shroud together. No one mentioned the word spy. That secret burned to ashes as the designer perfume smoke drifted into the sky.

Even Ethan Nakamura was given a shroud — black silk with a logo of swords crossed under a set of scales.

Dinner at the pavilion was low-key. The only highlight was Juniper the tree nymph, who screamed, "Grover!" and gave her boyfriend a flying tackle hug, making everybody cheer. They went down to the beach to take a moonlit walk, and Brooklyn was happy for them.

Mrs. O'Leary romped around happily, eating everybody's table scraps. Nico sat at the main table with Chiron and Mr. D, and nobody seemed to think this was out of place. Everybody was patting Nico on the back, complimenting him on his fighting. Even the Ares kids seemed to think he was pretty cool. Hey, show up with an army of undead warriors to save the day, and suddenly you're everybody's best friend.

Slowly, the dinner crowd trickled away. Some went to the campfire for a sing-along. Others went to bed.

Except for Percy, who was sitting at the Poseidon table by himself, watching the moonlight. Brooklyn usually sat with him, because she didn't want to sit alone at the Zeus table, but today she had.

At least, until now, when she arrived at his table, plopping down a cupcake and sliding in next to him.

"Hey," she greeted. "Happy birthday."

Percy stared at her. "What?"

"It's August 18th," she said. "Your birthday, right? I listen sometimes."

Percy stared at her, stunned, but then he slowly nodded.

"Make a wish," she took out her lighter, lighting the candle.

"Did you bake this yourself?" he asked.

"God, no," she snorted. "I pre-ordered it from your favorite. You know, For Goodness Cake. Xander delivered it during dinner."

"You did that for me?" his eyebrows furrowed.

"Yeah," she frowned. "Why? Do you not like it?"

"No, I—" he swallowed. "It's perfect. Thanks."

He thought for a second, then blew out the candle.

They cut it in half and shared, eating with their fingers, watching the ocean while they ate. Crickets and monsters were making noise in the woods, but otherwise it was quiet.

"You saved the world," she said.

"We saved the world, Captain Marvel."

"That's a new one," she commented.

"Yeah, well . . . you're a hero, too."

"I don't know if I'd say that," she frowned.

"You got rewarded for your good actions, Brooks," Percy pointed out. "And I'd think that you're a hero anyway, without the endorsement."

"Sap," she commented, her mouth full of cake.

"Shut the fuck up," he told her, but then his gaze went hazy as he stared at her.

She raised her eyebrows. "You got something to say to me, Flounder?"

"You'd probably kick my ass."

"I do that anyway."