seven: the lunch.

BROOKLYN SAT AT the Zeus table, staring daggers into the table.

She robotically shoved cereal in her mouth as his stupid voice appeared, teasing: "what's up your ass this morning?"

As Percy sat next to her, she groaned and slammed her head down on the table.

"Hey, hey, hey," he nudged her head up, and she let him examine her head for bruises. "You okay?"

Brooklyn grumbled and shoved another spoonful of cereal in her mouth.

"Come on, Buzz Lightyear," he frowned at her. "Does it have to do with your visit with your mom yesterday?"

She laughed bitterly. "That'd have to happen first," she said, stirring the rest of her cereal into a soggy mess. "She fucking wanted me to come over and have brunch with her, and she's the one who cancels. She rescheduled for lunch today, but I don't want to go."

"Then don't." Percy gave her a smirk. "You could always stay here with me."

"You wish, Finding Nemo." Brooklyn rolled her eyes and shoved him, but his smirk just widened. "I don't want to go, but if I don't . . ."

"You'll get to feel the wrath of Francesca Hayward, I know," he shuddered. He'd had to endure it once. And he'd watched Brooklyn be the target of that wrath far too many times. So much so that it wasn't embarrassing anymore. Then again, did Brooklyn Hayward ever feel embarrassed?

She sighed and ate the rest of her cereal, leaving the milk like she usually did. "You'll be okay here without me here to brighten your days?" she asked sarcastically. "To make you the happiest person ever alive?"

Percy rolled his eyes, but he smiled at her. "That's my princess."

Brooklyn felt her cheeks heat up, but she ignored it. "But you'll be good without me, right?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "Do you know who I am?"

"The biggest loser of all time," she smirked.

"Uno reverse card."

"No you."

"No, you."

"No. You."

"No—"

"Percy," a voice interrupted.

They both looked over to see Annabeth Chase, narrowing her eyes at both of them. "You have to do reports for Chiron." She slid a box across the table to him. "And I have to do camp inspections. Do them with me?"

Percy looked over at Brooklyn.

She shrugged. "I've gotta get ready to take that stupid hour long drive to lunch." She twirled her spoon with her fingers, not-so-accidentally getting milk splashed on Annabeth. "And getting ready for lunch — that's a whole different story. But I'll see you later. Tomorrow at the latest."

"Yeah, okay. I'll leave you to the wolves," he smirked.

"Do not," she glared at him.

His stupid smirk stayed on his face. "See you later, Tinkerbell?"

"Uh huh," she nodded, staring at him when he didn't get up. He subtly puckered his lips at her.

Brooklyn rolled her eyes and leaned in, giving him a peck on the lips and on the cheek. By now, she was used to it, even if she hated doing this.

"Something to remember me by," she joked, though it was an inside joke between her and Percy. Annabeth clearly didn't get it. "Bye, Princess Ariel," Brooklyn gave him a three fingered wave, turning back to her finished bowl of cereal."