Chapter 24: Speechless

*Bailey's POV*

The entire time Parker told me about her past, it looked like she relived each moment. The sadness and pain radiating from her made my heart hurt. She never actually looked at me; it was as if she was watching it happen to her all over again and was looking at nothing in particular. From the moment she began telling me every detail, I wanted to comfort her, and part of me was unsure if she would accept it because her body seemed utterly uneasy.

However, whatever doubt crossed my mind didn't outweigh my actions when I saw a tear slide down her face. I know she's afraid, and I remember feeling that way when I first opened up to her. I was hesitant and worried she wouldn't believe me or even help me. I needed her to know that I would never look at her differently, so I placed my hands softly in hers and, in doing so, made her look up at me.

When our eyes locked, it confirmed everything I had ever thought and hoped about this woman before me. Even through the tears streaming down her face, she looked at me with a caring expression, permitting me to see the parts of her that she kept hidden deep within. When she told me she knew what I was going through, I never expected it to be like that... What her ex-girlfriend did, what Brooklynn allowed to happen, how she watched Parker get raped...

I was at a loss for words and furious at everyone who had hurt her. I wanted them to suffer, to know what it was like to harm someone like they did... an eye for an eye. I can't believe someone could have done all that to Parker... she's the most open, kindhearted person I've ever met in my life... and whatever happened to Brooklynn? Should I ask? I want to protect her more than ever now. I knew Parker could see that she didn't scare me away by the way she let go and cried freely with me. I moved closer to my professor and carefully wrapped my arms around her, holding Parker close. She's done this for me so much, and it's only fair and proper to give her the same comfort in return.

I never let her go, and I didn't plan to, not until she was one-hundred percent okay. I whispered that everything was okay and felt every wave that needed to be released. Once she was calmed down enough, she pulled away slightly. We looked at each other for a few seconds, and to show her I wouldn't leave her, I relaxed my head on her shoulder. She understood what I was doing, so we adjusted our bodies in a comforting embrace to lean on each other. What happened next produced numerous goosebumps and a shiver running down my spine.

Before Parker rested the side of her head on mine, she planted a soft kiss on top of it and let it linger for a few seconds. The warmth it gave me was unreal, and I could tell, without words, she was thanking me. My reply was instant, "You're welcome, Parker."

I didn't know when my professor would be ready to speak again, and she didn't have to, but... it dawned on me how much I actually missed her voice. Since Parker told me about her past, it's time I fill her in on the parts she doesn't know. "I first met Victoria in high school; she had a few elective classes with me and was the one girl everyone wanted. I saw boys and girls pine after her like she was a prize for them to win. She was a year ahead of me and seemed to have it all; mass popularity, friends, and head cheerleader. I had a couple of friends, but we were considered loners compared to her and those who followed her. I don't think I ever saw her dating anyone, which honestly shocked me. Back then, seeing a young woman held in such high esteem that had her life in order was attractive to me."

"Eventually, I grew increasingly attracted to her; I would let a look linger and wonder if I could have had a chance with her. The only problem was I knew I was invisible. I thought someone as popular as her would never be with someone as boring as me. At the end of my sophomore year, my friend's parent's got a better job offer, and they had to move away. Going back to school alone was hard, but... the strangest thing had happened; she took an interest in me that first day, during our lunch period. I didn't know what to think or say; I was just shocked," I took a short breath before continuing.