Chapter 5 : The Night to Never Be Forgotten-- Part 2

"Excuse me? Hello??"

When Prince Evan looked up, Garrett's figure was replaced by a girl in a common blue dress. She had dirty blonde hair, and her eyes were a slightly darker tint of blue than the prince's.

The prince could only stare at the girl—embarrassment covering his face in the form of a bright red tint.

The woman would kneel politely in front of the prince. She would slightly wave her hand back and forth in front of the boy's face after noticing that he was staring.

"Are you alright??" The girl would ask Evan, a worried expression painted across her face. "Hey!— um..." the girl would say. "I'm really sorry about Prince Garrett back here." She'd begin. "He's a little—much...sometimes." She would try to make an upside to the situation.

Evan would sit there dumbfounded.

The unfamiliar girl would furrow her eyebrows at the boy, helping herself back to her feet before offering a hand to the prince.

Evan could only stare at the hand before taking it, getting back to his feet with her help. He was so embarrassed. He was so frustrated with Garrett for trying to control his every move, so upset at his parents for not bothering to hang around for what is supposed to be "the biggest day of Evan's life." He just made a fool out of himself, and this random lady (and probably others) noticed.

Her eyes would meet his. Her eyes were like sapphires. "Not much of a talker, huh?" She'd ask rhetorically. Evan would perk up and let go, freeing up her hand.

The girl would shuffle her feet to stand up on her toes. Looking him up and down, she would cup the prince's cheek and use her thumb to wipe the small amount of dirt off his face.

The prince would tense up and awkwardly smile at the girl. He doesn't know what to say. How to feel. How to act.

"Well—uh—hi! I'm Evan!" He would reply. He wanted to start over. "Nice to meet you Evan." The woman would smile back at him.

"So uh—..." Evan would adjust his crown. "How's the weather?" The lady would smile at that question. You could've chosen to talk about anything. You could've asked about the party. The kingdom. Even the stranger's name for god's sake! But no!—We are deciding to talk about the weather. The girl would giggle. "The weather?" she would repeat.

Suddenly, a powerful voice could be heard from behind the prince. "Is that a Prince I see?? Prince Evan of Steoqapis?!" Haydn!

——————————

Above all of the other kingdoms, the Quartz Kingdom of Aekhinate was by far the biggest and most powerful. It was ruled by King Haydn, the "most perfect" man to have ever lived. He could do just about anything and everything. Evan met him one night at the Aquamarine Kingdom's royal casino tournament. Sure, Evan couldn't participate in the gambling because he was only eight at the time—but he remembers just how good at the casino games Haydn was. Evan's favorite game to watch King Haydn play was called "Imposter." He always won.

Evan turned his head away from the girl and began to scout out for King Haydn. Soon enough, the king and his wife, Rosemary, would make their way towards the prince, a smile on each of their faces. It had been years since Evan had seen them.

A smile would grow on his face. Maybe this party was worth it. "Haydn! Rose!" he would exclaim.

He would look back for the girl to excuse himself from their interaction, but she was already gone.

After a moment of hesitation, Evan would turn to face the Quartz royalty and run in their direction like a little kid. He would give Haydn a hug.

"Evan! It's been so long. You've grown so much since I've last seen you. You enjoying your party?" Haydn would strike up conversation. Evan was so excited to see them.

"Hm? Oh yeah," Evan replied. Do I really mean that? Am I really enjoying the party? "Just got better now that you're here," he'd admit, half-jokingly.

"Ey! Atta boy!" Haydn would exclaim in response. "Hey! I ran into Will earlier. Who was gonna tell me he and Liv were married?"

"Yeah..." The blue prince would hold the back of his neck. "They've been busy alright."

"And what about you Evan? Find yourself a lady yet? Or a man!—I don't judge!" He would say. He would nudge Evan, Rose scoffing jokingly at the comment.

"No—" Evan would pout in response to the joke before becoming a little more serious. "I just don't have that click with anyone, you know? Like if I'm going to settle down I want to have the same spark that you two have. Or Will and Liv. And I think I'm running out of time." He would confess, trailing back off in his own train of thought.

"Well..." Haydn would pry into his brain for an old man's advice. "Love takes time for sure. But you don't have time. 'Time is money'? If time is money then—money is time? Maybe you can buy your way to lo—"Rose would cut Haydn off, smacking him over the head with a pink, feathery pocket fan. "Shush! Evan! Don't listen to him. Do not buy a wife." Haydn would shrug genuinely, holding his head in pain.

"Evan," Rose would step in front of Haydn. "I know you might not be fond to hear this—but to meet the love of your life—you need to talk to...Women." She would tell him. "I mean, let's be honest here. Besides Liv, what girls your age have you ever interacted with? Maybe you need this type of party to really put yourself out there!! Tell people: 'Look at this amazing, handsome Prince!' Prince Evan is one of a kind. I betcha so many people would love to be wed to such a caring person as yourself," she would rant. "You just gotta get yourself out there!"

Haydn would smile, giving Evan a thumbs up. "What she said!"

Evan would sigh, taking in his surroundings. "Sure," he would say, holding his hand to his forehead.

——————————————-

After a while of talking with Haydn and Rose, Evan would notice as a graceful Garrett re-entered the room, a smirk painting his face. God. What now.

Upon seeing the figures of the Quartz Kingdom's rulers, Garrett would make his way over efficiently, and the moment he became part of the conversation, he would fall to a knee and bow. "Your majesties," Garrett would say.

"Oh woah! Prince Garrett! What a lovely surprise." Haydn would smile. Garrett was much of a kiss-ass to higher ups. And the Quartz family was the highest ranking powers in the world.

"Well, anyways." Garrett would wrap up his bow, turning to Evan. "Prince Evan, you are needed in the ballroom." He would say calmly. It was like he was a completely different person than before.

Evan wouldn't look back at him. "Of course."

"Excuse me. I'll see you two around. Thank you for coming." He would cross one forearm over his chest and bow slightly before heading off into the direction of the ballroom. I hope this isn't something bad...