24

Mavka emerged from the room, her dark hair beginning to lighten to her natural russet shade, strands curling, returning to her natural state but messier

She did not expect to find Kaz, of all people, on the other side; forgetting that she had met his eyes at the foot of the stairs before it all happened, her mind having pushed parts of it away to protect herself already.

The hall was empty, silent, the corridor abandoned and not needed to be watched for the privacy of the Druskelle who took women back there.

When she heard footsteps approaching she had span, on edge, but her fists unclenched when her eyes fell upon Kaz disguised as a Druskelle, in uniform and looking more like a soldier than the thief she was used to.

He quickly crossed the hall to meet her while her feet cemented to the marble floors. His  stony eyes took in her ruffled appearance.

Crimson splotches were smeared across the side of her chest and up her neck - a splatter that had, in a poor attempt, been wiped away. Parts of her dress down the front appeared a deeper, rusty colour, clinging to her skin where it should have fallen loose. There was a smeared bit of red staining the back of her pale hand at her side, and her eyes had a glossy sheen to them that set the boys heart rhythm off pace.

"Mav," his gravelly voice tore through the fog in her head and she allowed herself to take a shuddering deep breath in. "Tell me you killed him."

Her mind reeled.

The memories, the feelings, the chill across her skin became all too apparent. She swallowed thickly, meeting his eyes.

Of course the first thing he wanted to know was if their tracks were covered - they couldn't leave someone like that Druskelle alive if he knew her identity, if he suspected something or if something had gone wrong - and she knew it, but the fact that those were the first words out of his mouth had her heart constricting.

She did not know that the reason he had asked was because he needed to know that the Druskelle, with his disgusting intentions clear for his little sparrow, had been stopped.

Her mouth opened but no words came out.

She had, but at the same time, no.

She had not technically killed him, he had done that himself.

Her mouth snapped shut and all she could do was nod once, still in a state of shock.

She shakily attempted to sign where are the others?  But missed out a word and had to correct herself, fumbling as her mind struggled to straighten itself out.

He glanced up and down the hall, checking no one was coming, before putting a hand a few inches from her arm and nodding behind them. She followed him, at his side, as he kept her shielded from possible sight behind him ever so slightly.