Chapter 13: The Unbelievable Truth

Waiting for later to come seemed to take forever. Even with so many amazing books surrounding me, none could hold my attention. All I kept thinking about was Oliver and what his reaction would be when I told him the truth. Or what Harry, Hermione, and Ron would do with the information I was about to give them. Thinking about the repercussions made me second guess if it was even the right thing to do.

Then I thought about the reality of it all. None of the things I was living was real. I was falling for someone who was fictional. Keeping secrets from the very people who were the secrets. And for what? To keep the plot from falling apart? To make sure the story stays intact when that story includes the death of a lot of characters I love?

My very presence had already changed the course of the story. From Professor Quirrell and the stone to Voldemort and Harry, it had already changed. Quirrell was alive. Voldemort was after me. Dumbledore was made aware of things he had yet to learn. Harry was still the Boy Who Lived, but I was the girl who was tired of living a lie.

I picked up a random book and opened it. "Raaaaawr!" Fire shot from its pages and a wave of heat circled my head, causing me to slam it shut and slide it back into the slot I'd taken it from. Looking at the spine, which read A Guide to Dragons, I realized I needed to go to a different section of the library.

Turning the corner at the end of the shelf, I almost ran right into Hermione. "Oh, hey."

She smiled awkwardly. "Can I talk to you for a moment?"

"Sure."

We walked to a nearby table on the other side of the library so if anyone came close enough to hear our conversation, we'd know.

"I'm not going to lie," she started. "I'm not so sure I trust you."

I wasn't expecting that but understood. I'm sure my sudden appearance and unusual situation wasn't in any textbook. And since Hermione was a rational and methodical person, why should she simply take me at my word? Even for Hogwarts, it was odd and hard to fathom. I was living it and it was still hard to believe.

"Knowing who you are, I'd be surprised if you did," I admitted.

A slight chuckle escaped her. "And what do you mean by that, exactly?"

"Only that you're very smart and don't fall for things easily."

She gave me the side-eye. "How would you know anything about my level of intelligence? And how do you know what my parents do for a living? Or Ron's, for that matter? How do you know these things?"

Seeing the curiosity and eagerness to know the truth seeping out of her, I realized this scenario was perfect. Instead of divulging everything to everyone later, I could simply tell her and see what she thought I should do. Let's be honest, she was the smartest of the group. Maybe telling the four of them, together, wasn't such a good idea after all.

"What I'm about to tell you is going to seem crazy, but please keep an open mind. And remember, I've been given Veritaserum and my story has never wavered."

When she nodded, I told her everything. From the ride, to falling onto Oliver's broom, and everything in between up until that very moment. Not once did she try to stop me or interrupt with any questions. Instead, she listened intently to every word I said. Once I was finished, she was still eyeing me intently, but I could tell it was out of pure curiosity and wonderment, not doubt.

"You do realize that what you're saying is impossible, don't you?" she questioned. "If what you're saying is true, which it apparently is, if you've been given Veritaserum," she added, more to herself than to me, "then...." She looked down at the floor, then back up at me. "Excuse me for a moment."